The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2011, 08:54 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Vise

Been loving my Peak Rotary for 3 years. I replaced one of those cheap vises that came in a tying kit which I had received as a gift 10 years prior. It was definitely time to upgrade. I wasn't sure how much I'd use the rotary features, and I do not make use of it as much as I could--old habits die hard. Still, when winding body materials it comes in handy. Especially winding wire bodied flies. There are 2 upgrades that I think should be incorporated as standard features, neither of which adds a significant expense. Would be nice if Peak included these, until they do I recommend doing so on your own.

1. D arm Attachment. Makes using the rotary feature much easier
2. Brass Screws. Ditch the plastic and go metal.

I also added midge jaws since I tie smaller flies, smallest being in the 20-26 range. The standard jaws work just fine down to 16/18 but the midge jaws are much easier to work with IMHO. I have even tied streamers in at least a 10, possibly an 8 on them and was able to do it. While I prefer the standard jaws for streamers, I was too lazy to swap out the jaws since I was tying for a trip. They won't break the bank if you want to add them on later.

Haven't yet got into tying tube flies, but also noticed there is a tube fly attachment as well as jaws for salt.

I agree with the consensus, the base on the non rotary looks suspect. With that said, I'm sure if it weren't working Peak would correct it. The base that comes with the rotary can be added on if the non rotary doesn't work as you would like.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:40 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Jay: I agree, I've had my Peak for 3-4 years now and love it. I also upgraded to the brass screws, D-Arm, midge jaws and magnifier lens (that is a sweet package when tying size 20-26 midges). I put the midge jaws on and have had them on since, I'm too lazy to switch jaws, I just finished tying some 3/0 deer hair popper flies for the popper swap.

Larry
Old 12-20-2011, 10:57 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Jay: I agree, I've had my Peak for 3-4 years now and love it. I also upgraded to the brass screws, D-Arm, midge jaws and magnifier lens (that is a sweet package when tying size 20-26 midges). I put the midge jaws on and have had them on since, I'm too lazy to switch jaws, I just finished tying some 3/0 deer hair popper flies for the popper swap.
Larry that's good to know that the midge jaws also work on 3/0 hooks! Kind of makes those midge jaws a no-brainer since they will cover such a wide range. I haven't yet added a magnifier, but thought about getting one. I'm using 2.5 cheater glasses for the time being Is there a specific one that you're using?

I noticed last year that Peak had come out with a new tying light and have heard great things about it. Anyone have experience with it?

What I like most about the Peak is that it's very functional and a solid build. Not as flashy as some of the presentation vises if that's what you're after, but very affordable, a lot of bang for the buck and the vise looks great on the tying bench.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
That is a small base, I'd prefer a c-clamp to one that small. For my vise I initially only had the c-clamp and picked up a heavy, sturdy base for it and am much happier. I found when I attached it to the side of a table I'd drop more stuff on the floor and my wife always worried about me scratching wood, etc. One time when I tried tying with my brother we found none of their tables had a straight edge and I couldn't get my vise on anything. Hence the base.
There's a way around that-

Click the image to open in full size.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:19 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
There's a way around that-

That's great! Perhaps someday, though I'm hoping to have a dedicated desk. For now buying the base was a pretty cheap solution.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:55 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Larry that's good to know that the midge jaws also work on 3/0 hooks! Kind of makes those midge jaws a no-brainer since they will cover such a wide range. I haven't yet added a magnifier, but thought about getting one. I'm using 2.5 cheater glasses for the time being Is there a specific one that you're using?

I noticed last year that Peak had come out with a new tying light and have heard great things about it. Anyone have experience with it?

What I like most about the Peak is that it's very functional and a solid build. Not as flashy as some of the presentation vises if that's what you're after, but very affordable, a lot of bang for the buck and the vise looks great on the tying bench.
Jay: Just be careful to push those large hooks deep into the midge jaws so you don't over stress the midge tips. I can't remember where I purchased the magnifier on my Peak vise (it mounts to the vice stem), but it was FrankB2 that recommended it to me, you might send him a PM and ask. I thought it was from Peak but when I went over to their site it isn't listed.

Larry
Old 12-20-2011, 12:06 PM

BigCliff that's a sweet setup you made there! I can see where that would come in very handy when you go on a trip and need to take your tying equipment. Sometimes you never know what to expect for tying setup when you get there unless you've been there before. Nice work!

Larry, good information on the source for the magnifier. I may just have to send Frank a note. That's exactly how I placed the hook in the midge jaws, as far into the back as I could so as not to stress the tips. I don't do that often...I try to tie what I need to on the standards, swap them out for the midge jaws and smaller flies and knock them out that way. Inevitably, I or a bud requests something that the other jaws would be best suited for and I'm just too lazy to swap them out and or crunched for time. Great though that they offer the versatility.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
BigCliff that's a sweet setup you made there! I can see where that would come in very handy when you go on a trip and need to take your tying equipment. Sometimes you never know what to expect for tying setup when you get there unless you've been there before. Nice work!
Thanks. You're right, tables with beveled/round/fancy edges are quite common.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:03 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883c View Post
I want to thank those that replied. I ordered a Griffin Superior 2A and yes it is not listed above. I tried to balance price and quality on my first vise. Now to get tools, instructional materials and tying materials for North Alabama panfish.

Thanks once again.
Hope you made a smart choice there!

My old vise has been loosing it's "grip" on smaller hooks lately (an eBay copy of the Bass Pro Crown Spring Tension Vise). Tried to tie some #18 Griffin's gnats today and the hook popped loose one time too many.
Did some quick research and decided to try the Griffin Superior 2A this time.

I've only been tying a few years and don't tie anything really complicated, so I just stuck with a basic (non-rotary) design for now.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:58 PM

monkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the rough

i gotta add my TCW.
i've tied on several vises, Thompson A
HMH
Regal
Price
Vintage Veniard Rotary

my favorite and the vise i use now is the Peak Rotary.
i don't actually use a rotary technique but would hate to do without the feature of turning the fly over to tie in beards and such

the Peak might not be considered a work of art but it is certainly well thought out and made well and designed for tying flies .
my hats off to the makers/designers of the Peak rotary

buzz

the universe in a drop of water

Norta Mudzoory