The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 10:29 PM

mark883c is on a distinguished road
Default First Vise

I'm considering the purchase of my first vise. I have decided it will be one of the below items. Please provide any feedback if you have used one of these or if you think a rotary is actually worth the additional $50 - $80 more for a beginner.

1 - Griffin Montana Pro
Griffin Fly Tying Vises

2 - Peak non-Rotary Vise
PEAK Fly Tying Vises

3 - Renzetti Apprentice
Apprentise Vise

Moderators please move if in wrong forum

Last edited by mark883c; 12-18-2011 at 10:34 PM. Reason: May have been placed in wrong subforum
Old 12-18-2011, 10:45 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Vise

I don't have any of those vises, but thought I'd comment on the rotary question. You don't need one. But if you have the cash to spend to buy one then might as well. Down the road you may wish you had rotary and then buy another vise. But if you'd have to make some sacrifices to afford it it's certainly not necessary.

Also, it looked like one or two of those vises might come without a tabletop base. I'd recommend getting one with a base or buying a base for it. It's very nice to have.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:14 PM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

Get the peak rotary. I thought I didn't need the rotary function, but it's been nice to have. The peak vice also comes with a bobbin cradle and it's nice to have when tying up patterns with wire wraps and what not to keep the bobbin out of the way and tension on the thread.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:23 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

Mark,

I tried the Renzetti traveller for a week and hated it. I felt it was cumbersome to change hooks. I haven't used the other two but I do have the Griffin Odyssey Spider. There was another forum member asking about it and there was some useful info

Help with rotary vise decision.

WD
Old 12-19-2011, 07:48 PM

mark883c is on a distinguished road

I want to thank those that replied. I ordered a Griffin Superior 2A and yes it is not listed above. I tried to balance price and quality on my first vise. Now to get tools, instructional materials and tying materials for North Alabama panfish.

Thanks once again.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I've used a DanVise for over ten years now, and while I might buy another if I was doing it again, it works well enough to where I haven't replaced it. I've bought MANY other rods, etc in that same time.

Contrary to a prior opinion, I would actually recommend getting the C-clamp if you get the peak. That pedestal is so small it seems like it wouldn't be very stable, and their clamp is BY FAR the best out there.

I actually really like the Renzetti Apprentice. It looks like you could point it up and have an awesome small fly vise, or set it flat and have one similar to their clouser vises.

I'd buy one if my 9wt line wasn't worn out...

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:29 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Cliff, The base for teh peak is heavy enough that it doesn't go anywhere, or tip at all It's heavy, but I would agree on the small side. It can get a bit buried under materials in a feverish tying session. I have one and would recommend one to anyone.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer09 View Post
Cliff, The base for teh peak is heavy enough that it doesn't go anywhere, or tip at all It's heavy, but I would agree on the small side. It can get a bit buried under materials in a feverish tying session. I have one and would recommend one to anyone.
Do you have the rotary or the other?

The base for the rotary looks very sufficient, but the other looks like it would be VERY easy to tilt to the right-

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:13 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

You're right. I've got the rotary. Not digging the other base.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:00 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

That is a small base, I'd prefer a c-clamp to one that small. For my vise I initially only had the c-clamp and picked up a heavy, sturdy base for it and am much happier. I found when I attached it to the side of a table I'd drop more stuff on the floor and my wife always worried about me scratching wood, etc. One time when I tried tying with my brother we found none of their tables had a straight edge and I couldn't get my vise on anything. Hence the base. But it does need to be heavy and sturdy, a couple small magnets are not bad either to keep hooks from disappearing.