The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 08:19 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default hole/groove in vise jaws?????

Got my new Griffin Superior 2A vise yesterday and noticed the jaws have a hole (groove) in the tip.
I think I know why (for holding a needle), but I'm not sure.

Is my guess correct?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:40 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: hole/groove in vise jaws?????

Or a tube for tube flies?
Old 12-24-2011, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'm going to agree with Wanna and say they probably did this for tubes / Waddington Shanks, but I've never seen a vise with jaws like that before. Hopefully someone will know and post; nothing in the documentation about the groove huh?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-24-2011, 06:40 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

The vise seems to be good quality, and it holds the hooks I've tried so far (12 - 18) securely.
The instructions included told how to assemble it (vertical post & clamp), adjust the angle of the jaws, and adjust it for "rear tension mode". (the paper says, "The Griffin 2A may be used in either of the two modes. Chose the one that fits your preference or function.").
It does NOT specify what the other mode is or how to use it???????????

It also makes NO mention of the hole (both jaws have the same matching recess as in the picture).

Nothing about it that I could find on their website, either.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:06 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

My guess would be to hold the arbors used to tye tube flies...

Dan
Old 12-27-2011, 10:51 AM

Phoned Griffin and asked.
The lady said it was in order for the jaws to hold very small hooks more securely.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:19 AM

zug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura about

Maybe I'm wrong here but I would be untrusting of that design. that groove creates corners that can chip and break over the years due to high presure of the vise. I'm sure it has a good purpose but I think you better look for the down side
Old 01-16-2012, 06:24 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

The way I see it The Hooks should be held more securely,especially the smaller ones because there would be two contact points holding The Hook instead of one & not as much pressure would have to be applied which should prevent it from moving as long as The Jaws are perfectly mated.
Brian
Old 01-17-2012, 12:00 AM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

if it don't agree send it back.