The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2008, 07:35 AM

qualityflies1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anyone Recommend a Good Kenyan?

Hi,
I have proved to be one,just supplied the club members with some flies !
John
Old 03-12-2008, 03:17 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Not to say anything "negative" about Premium flies as a business. But I was negotiating with John at Premium Flies to be a sponsor on my blog. He agreed to sponsor the tying contest I tried to have over there. But I never got the flies. After almost a year I got an email from him stating he had gone off to school and had not been available to follow up on our deal. Still never got the flies. Glad I never offered to pay the shipping. Still looking for a good Kenyan!!

John prove me wrong please !!!!!

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 03-12-2008, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfulps View Post
John, I'll keep you in mind for my next order. Thanks.

BigCliff, I do certainly like a good quality cup of coffee -- I just can't afford it. After all, I have a truck payment to make!
On that topic, I think theres a secret that Starbucks doesn't want to get out: Its possible to get a damn fine and large drink at their stores for about $2. Stopped for a venti coffee with 3 creams today and was pleased with the price and thrilled with the taste.

"Rollin yer own" will always be cheaper, but the coke machine outside my dingy motel room costs about that much. Just leave "mocha, latte, etc" out of your order and its price won't get into 6-pack range.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:08 AM

wfulps will become famous soon enoughwfulps will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroostookbasser View Post
...prove me wrong please !!!!!
Can't prove you wrong just yet, but things are looking good. John communicated with me throughout the entire process of accepting the order, completing the order, billing and shipping -- much better customer service and professional behavior than I've seen from previous tyers I've worked with. With previous tyers, if I ordered a new pattern that was unfamiliar, they either "forgot" to tie it or came up with their own recipe and faked it. John actually asked for specific instructions to make sure he got it right. That impressed me a great deal. I emailed the order on Feb 24, and it arrived at US Customs in Memphis on March 10 -- a little longer than I expected, but certainly not a bad turnaround time, especially for the complicated orders we usually have. Right now, they're stuck with customs. I don't have in import license, but I don't need one, because I don't resell the flies for profit. Once they get this, the flies will be here the next day. So, to sum up, I'm very happy with everything up to this point. Once I see the quality of flies, I'll post again. If anyone want to get in on the next order, visit my website for details.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:44 AM

lindmar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfulps View Post
Can't prove you wrong just yet, but things are looking good. John communicated with me throughout the entire process of accepting the order, completing the order, billing and shipping -- much better customer service and professional behavior than I've seen from previous tyers I've worked with. With previous tyers, if I ordered a new pattern that was unfamiliar, they either "forgot" to tie it or came up with their own recipe and faked it. John actually asked for specific instructions to make sure he got it right. That impressed me a great deal. I emailed the order on Feb 24, and it arrived at US Customs in Memphis on March 10 -- a little longer than I expected, but certainly not a bad turnaround time, especially for the complicated orders we usually have. Right now, they're stuck with customs. I don't have in import license, but I don't need one, because I don't resell the flies for profit. Once they get this, the flies will be here the next day. So, to sum up, I'm very happy with everything up to this point. Once I see the quality of flies, I'll post again. If anyone want to get in on the next order, visit my website for details.
Did you ever get your flies?
Old 03-24-2008, 07:24 AM

wfulps will become famous soon enoughwfulps will become famous soon enough

Yes, I got them. Overall I'm happy with how they looked. There were some flies missing, which has always been the case when I send a large complicated order. There was one fly pattern that was not correct -- asked for one style of scud and got another. Nothing I was concerned about, though. 99% of the flies were tied properly (and better quality than I do when I tie my own) and arrived as promised, which is pretty darn good. John got a bit bent out of shape re: waiting for his money, which made the transaction less enjoyable than it could have been, but I certainly understand his frustration.

I originally told John that I usually can send payment 4 days after I receive the flies. The flies were held up at US customs, and there were several club members out of town for spring break or on business trips (meaning payments to me came in more slowly), so getting his payment to him took longer than I thought it would. Even so, I was able to send payment 6 days after I received the flies instead of 4 days, but the customs delay meant John had to wait almost 2 weeks. I can certainly understand that he needs to pay his tyers and probably has worries about customers not paying at all, so we'll need to come up with a better system to make sure he gets his money more quickly. Otherwise, though, everything went fine, and I hope to continue doing business with him in the future.