The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 01:01 PM
andyosborne is on a distinguished road
Default turkey feathers

I shot a turkey last fall and have a bunch of the feathers kicking around. Do they need to be treated with anything before i can use them for dry flies?

thanks
Old 01-06-2012, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: turkey feathers

While I have read posts that describe all sorts of treatments and precautions that include almost everything except religious ceremonies I have never done anything to 'treat' a feather. If I add whole bird pelts or partial skins to my collection I make sure the skin was treated with a mixture of salt & Borax to draw out moisture and fatty oils from the raw side but that's about it. When adding harvested skins to my materials I am also old fashioned enough that I keep a couple moth balls in my feather drawers.

If you mean washing or the like I have never done that either. Hope that is of help but remember it's just the way I do things and others may have a different view on this.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-06-2012, 01:49 PM

Mostly be using the tips and what not to make wings. Also using some to make feathered trailers for some of my sons inline trout spinners.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:09 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

see link

Tying Materials
Old 01-06-2012, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Andy,

I forgot to ask......................how big was the bird? I grew up in Pennsylvania and was fortunate to be where the wild turkey really took off in population. Of course the larger birds were usually taken in the spring gobbler season but occasionally you would bag a good male in the fall. Funny thing, when I made this long move I didn't move hunting trophies to Alaska. I often regret that but most often when I have to pay 3.50 for a pair of turkey tail feathers

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-06-2012, 03:55 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I just plucked my turkeys, stuffed the feathers in a ziplock bag and thru them in the freezer without closing the zip lock. Couple of months and they are good to go. Leave the packages open so any meat left on will freeze dry out.

Dave
Old 01-06-2012, 08:45 PM

It wasnt a bad sized bird but i didnt weigh it. had 1" spurs and the beard was about 6"s/ I have had the feathers drying for quite some time so i am gonna give it a whirl and see what happens.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:27 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I have a few tails & wings from birds I've killed. My wife puts them (the meaty portion) in a bucket of salt/borax for a few weeks and that seems to preserve them well.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:03 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyosborne View Post
. Do they need to be treated with anything before i can use them for dry flies?
Mostly be using the tips and what not to make wings
For a dry fly like the Kings River caddis you'd want to paint a bit of head cement or similar adhesive on the feather to help hold it together.
You could skip doing this but the barbs will separate after the first fish or two. The fly will still work and the fish don't mind. It just won't look as pretty

Click the image to open in full size.