The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 11:32 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Epoxy

Looking for a good clear epoxy to build large heads on saltwater streamers. Good price and easy to use would be a bonus. Any suggestions?
Old 01-15-2012, 11:52 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Epoxy

Most epoxy either comes out somewhat yellow or eventually turns that way. I have been using softex recently and while not as tough as epoxy, it does seem to be pretty tough and does not seen to yellow. No mixing either. Unfortunately if you do a bunch of flies at once your neighbors may think your running a meth lab. Stinks a bit.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:40 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

go to Checker/OReilly and get some Devcon clear, it's a good price, easy to find, and a good reputation for not yellowing.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:04 AM

Biggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud of

A little trick for working with Epoxy is to go to a camera shop that still sells developing chemicals and purchase a small bottle of Photo-Flo 200. It is a soapy solution that you can dip your fingers in. As the epoxy starts to set up you can then use your fingers to manipulate the Epoxy without it sticking to your fingers or turning the epoxy hazy. It works great and you can really shape a nice looking body or head using it. The last bottle I purchased was about 5 bucks. Good luck with your adventures in epoxy.

Devcon works well but be sure and buy the hardener and the epoxy in separate bottles. The Side by side syringes don't give you as much control in the mixing process.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:26 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

What about Clear Cure Hydro?

May I add, I have NOT tried this stuff yet.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:18 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Diver Dan . Where do I get softex? Want to give it a try.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Your local fly shop (if you're lucky enough to still have one) should have Softex, or you can get it here: JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building, Fly Tying: Icon Products Softex

You can also use Softex to make Mushmouths-- they have a spine of stiff Superhair covered in Softex, and are surrounded by a softer synthetic like Flash Blend or Kinky Fiber that;s tied in while the softex is still wet. The spine keeps the materials from fouling.

If you go the epoxy route, 5 minute epoxy works well, but like all epoxies you'll want a fly turner of some sort to prevent the stuff from sagging. Andf as Dan mentioned the epoxy will eventually yellow a bit (but that doesn't seem to matter to the fish). You can make your own turner (instead of buying one for $80) using anything that will turn at around 6-12 rpms-- disco ball motor, rotisserie grill etc. and a block of foam for a couple of bucks.

Eventually, if you tie a lot of epoxy type flies you'll want to consider getting a product like a special wavelength light cured acrylic resin like Tuffleye, Clear Cure Goo, or Bug Bond. The set up is instant (approx 30 sec) and you don't have to worry about sagging, turning, or yellowing.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:57 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Bostik Multibond is about the only one I know which dries clear however it doesn't set as hard or as quick as The Epoxies.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:29 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I know in the past there's been a lot of discussion about the proper epoxy mixing tool, it's porosity, and the yellowing.
I'm not sure that there's really any difference when it comes to that.
I know for a fact that the slower drying (like the 10 minute Flexcoat) epoxies do not yellow like the 5 minute stuff.

I used regular 5minute Devcon on my popper heads for the recent popper swap
I made my poppers "yellow" on purpose.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:01 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I've used Devcon epoxies for many, many years for use on bass & saltwater flies. I usually buy the 60 or 90 minute, and get it at a local hardware store.

It will yellow some with age, but not as much as other brands I've tried, and it seems the longer set time epoxy yellows less than those with shorter set times.

I have some white popper bodies that I made up a few years ago, and coated with epoxy, and they still look white. They may not be as white as when I first made them, but frankly I can't tell. They're not yellow looking.

Except for coating over a white base, I don't feel the yellowing is even noticeable with the Devcon epoxy, and even then, not much. I have a lot of flies in my boxes that are several years old, & have coated heads & they still look fine.

Actually, in most cases, the flies end up destroyed by use well before any yellowing occurs.

I tried some Ace Hardware brand epoxy too, and it yellowed terribly. So I stick to the Devcon.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!