The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 12:52 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Hook difference in PT?

disclaimer: I don't tie...yeah, I know I should, but just don't have the patience.

I found and started fishing PT's tied on a curved (like a scud) hook, rather than a straight shank. They've been very effective for me, although on a regular hook they sure catch fish too. Has there been much discussion among tiers about tieing PTs on hooks with differring shank shape?

If this is really dumb, just laff at me.

-Mike
Old 01-27-2012, 12:56 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hook difference in PT?

I prefer them on the Tiemco 2487/57 style hooks

Not sure why.. but they seem to do better for me
Old 01-27-2012, 01:49 PM

trout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to all

Hi Mike,

I'd agree with the 2487/2457's on moving water, but I still prefer an un-beaded straight shank ( 1 XL, #14-16 ) version when I need to strip / twitch them on stillwaters.
Anybody still fish a Sawyers P.T.?

Best, TT
Old 01-27-2012, 03:23 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout trekker View Post
Hi Mike,

I'd agree with the 2487/2457's on moving water, but I still prefer an un-beaded straight shank ( 1 XL, #14-16 ) version when I need to strip / twitch them on stillwaters.
Anybody still fish a Sawyers P.T.?

Best, TT
I've only fished them in moving water so far and I'll pay attention to that. It seems that fish come to them eagerly and I seem to have a better hookup ratio. Don't know if that makes sense based on hook shape??

Thanks! -Mike
Old 01-27-2012, 03:34 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

They may look like that when curled up in your hand, but there's not a bug alive that can swim, walk, or crawl all scrunched up like that.
Any fly tied in that manner is meant to catch the fisherman rather that the fish
Old 01-27-2012, 03:36 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Any fly tied in that manner is meant to catch the fisherman rather that the fish
You shoudl try it.. then decide
Old 01-27-2012, 04:04 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
You shoudl try it.. then decide
I didn't say it wouldn't work. Of course it will, usually.
But when designing or trying out a new fly you need to think about "triggers".
Things that the fish see that identifies it as something that the fish will want to eat or on the other end, some unnatural quality that the fish sees that disqualifies your fly as a food.
Your fly doesn't need to be a perfect copy of the natural, but negative triggers may cause the fish to look elsewhere.
Why do that on purpose?
Old 01-29-2012, 01:53 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I think they work in straight and curve hooks equally well. The most important factor is that there is an adequate hooking gap. When you see a certain "shape" for a nymph, it is a shape that is not permanent. Aquatic insects change their shape when they are free in the water.

For example, scud are tied on "scud" hooks; but scuds are straight and not curved when they are swimming. So why do we tie them on curved hooks?

"When a scud swims, its body is held quite straight."

Nymphing - Gary A. Borger - Google Books

"First of all, swimming scuds, the kind fish are likely to see, are as straight as a needle and only curl up into the typical scud fly profile when they are crawling around on something."

California School of Flyfishing, Nevada City and Truckee, CA > Entomology > Scuds

I quote myself from an identical discussion,

"Often times, the accepted position of a fly is contrary to the biology of the real thing. An example is the lowly scud. Although they are commonly tied on curved hooks, scuds bodies are often in a straight position when swimming. And when are they most available to the fish? When they are swimming! Yet most fish caught on scud patterns are on a curved hook, because that is how commercial tiers tie them, because that is what the fishing public believes."

The best "shape" for a PT is the Tiemco 200R and not a scud style hook like the 2487. But in small sized 200R the hook gape is very small and it has poor hooking capabilities.

Personally, I like to tie PT's in 2XL, 1XH hooks but in smaller sizes I will tie them in larger gap hooks.
Rip Tide likes this.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by Hardyreels; 01-29-2012 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Removed forum link per rules here
Old 01-29-2012, 09:03 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

deleted post

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 02-16-2012, 12:16 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

LOL! The comments about scuds reminds me of what is referred to as the "buggy look". It has always seemed to me that this is a perfect example of a misnomer, since insects have exoskeletons and most appear just the opposite of "fuzzy"! Yet nymphs with a "buggy look" have caught many fish.