The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 03:45 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: walleye fly fishing.

Howdy whitedice and welcome to the forum. If you want to try walleye fishing with a fly rod, I think I can help shortcut you to getting them. Do a quick look around your local DNR fisheries site and see where you have close Walleye, then give me a call. I am going to PM you my phone number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfig19 View Post
I think I'll have re evaluate my fishing equipment....I'm not sure if I'm equipped to handle a fly like a clouser minnow for my rod size and proportions. I'm currently fishing with a LL Bean Quest II 8'6' 5weight. I'm thinking the walleye around here does not fit that rod size. Well anyhow, I'm willing to purchase a rod able to do the job.
I caught this Walleye, and it was my first Walleye line class record on a 9' 5wt. four piece rod with a clouser. Your rod will work, but for big water you are going to need something you can get the fly farther out there.
Click the image to open in full size.
By the way, have you ever seen a darker Walleye?
FrankB2 likes this.

Last edited by Guest1; 08-22-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:37 AM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

Walleye / Fishing Forecast / Fishing / KDWPT - KDWPT

There are a lot of links in Google to Kansas walleye.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:11 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Where are the big fish, Dan?

I caught my first and only walleye in 40 years of fishing this past spring. I was fishing for smallmouth with a Clouser, and from a distance thought it had awfully big eyes for a smallmouth (and skinny). Once I got it in close, I thought it was awfully toothy for a smallmouth as well...LOL! It was 17", and that was right around what I was getting in length for the smallmouth this spring. It was the best streak I ever had for smallmouth, and caught a walleye on top of it. Clousers are the best when the fish are hungry. I've caught sunfish on 3" Clousers!!!
Guest1 likes this.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:31 AM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Awsome Frank! I agree on the Clouser thing. I'm pretty sure you can catch just about anything with a Blue/White Clouser. I have a pretty long list of species on them. Odd stuff like White Suckers.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:15 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

Hello Everyone,

I've never caught a walleye on a fly rod or a spin/baitcaster. Let's just say that I've never caught a walleye... Anyway, I'm also getting ready to head to Milford Lake in KS and will be doing some fishing. Last time I was there, I caught a bunch of white bass and hibrid bass. I was using the ariculated fly, Mike's Meal Ticket. I guess this is aimed at you, Diver Dan. What do I need to change up to get a walleye on the end of my fly line. Tackle: bite guard or just floro? I'm using a 7wt with rio sinktip (the 24ft 250grain). suggestions? Tactics? etc? I'll be there in two weeks.

You're very knowledgable on with your walleye information. I could totally take some of your tactics and even apply them to spincasting. I also have some lakes near me (I live in nortwestern MO, right next to the missouri river) that have walleye like mozingo lake, billby lake, and smithville lake.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:58 PM
Banned

Welcome to the forum delopez. I use a clouser more than anything for Walleye. You don't need to use any kind of bite tippet for them. They are toothy but the teeth are for holding not cutting so they don't cut you off. The teeth are sharp and will still punch holes in your fingers so don't go lip them like Bass or anything.

I use a floating line most of the time but I also use an intermediate sinking line. I have hooked them in water I know is every bit of 17' deep and I have hit them on the surface. When they are really deep the best thing is the Clouser and a long leader. Count down just like you would a sinking Rapala. Once you find where the fish are you can generally hook a bunch of them. For times they are hitting on the surface you can use things like EP flies or stuff with spun deer hair heads.

If you are going to be doing this from a boat you are better off casting parallel to the shore rather than in at it. This is one of things where casting far will generally be a help. In fact the more I do this the more I realize there is no such thing as to far a cast. That's why I started using two hand rods for them. Well at least one of the reasons. The other three reasons are the longer leaders get me deeper, I can do it in places where I have almost no room behind me and it is so much fun I'm surprised someone hasn't attempted to either tax it or make it illegal.

If you are going to be doing this where you have both White Bass and Walleye, I'd move if you are getting the Bass. I might be wrong on this one because I have not done it often in places with both. However, when I did, I never got Walleye while I was getting White Bass. I think they segregate themselves. On the Bass, I'd try the clouser as well.

I'm pretty sure I just scratched the surface here so if you have anymore questions feel free to ask away. If there is something I can't answer, somebody here will be able to. Lots of great folks on the forum and a ton of information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post

!!!
Up here. Come up and I'll show you exactly where they are.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:43 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

Oh man. I have a ton of questions. I don't think I've ever landed anything on a clouser, yet. Of course everything around here is pretty murky... This will be a treat. What about using articulated patterns, such as mikes meal ticket in olive, double deceivers, even articulated clousers? I also have rabbit strip leeches and sculpin patterns... I've always heard that walleyes love leeches.

Where are they most likely to be as the weather cools? And I would most definitely have to agree with you about spey rods and would spey rod them with a skagit line if I had to fish from a bank...

There are all kinds of fish in this lake Carp, Buffalo, Gar, White/Striper/Smallmouth/Largemouth/Hybrid Bass, crappie, walleye... I haven't been able to fish it enough to get the idea where the walleye are at... A lot of people troll and jig them here, with nightcrawlers.

And it's going to be hard to cast parallel with another guy in the boat...
Thanks!
Old 10-01-2012, 03:06 AM
Banned

Walleyes do love leeches but not all of the time. In mid and late summer, leeches can be the hot ticket. However, don't waste your time on one in the spring or fall. As for the "I don't think I've ever landed anything on a clouser, yet." I assume you don't use them much. Give them a chance. They may be the single most fish getting fly ever invented.

When I use two hand rods, which is most of the time, I just use a floating line. No skagit or scandi stuff. I like the more traditional lines and a top hand style cast. I get more distance. In some cases distance is a real necessity. It may help to tie flies that glow in the dark also. Here are some clousers I did with colors that work in the day, but also glow so I don't need to miss the very important right at dark hot time changing flies.
By the way, it may pay to use a surface fly or two in certain situations. I know it sounds weird for Walleye, but last Fall that's where we got all of them. Or at least almost all of them. This is the fly that worked the best.
This fly also glows in the dark. Here is a fish I got in the dark with that very fly. It hit way out at the end of a cast in the 120'+ range. This is why I like the big two hander and the lines the way I use them.
Since you are going to be in a boat at least part of time, you may want to try this tactic. Up here drifting a spinner rig with a crawler is a very popular way to catch them early in the season. If you have a guy in the boat doing that, cast forward and to the side of the boat. let the fly sink to the bottom and drift it as your pal pulls the crawler. I'd use a sinking line and adjust to distance of the cast till you get fish. Duplicate that distance as long as you stay in that depth of water. It's kind of like pulling crankbaits. More line = deeper.

Another thing you can do to shortcut your way to fish is find you a fishing buddy that does Walleye. I can help you alot, but I can't tell you a thing about your waters. If you can learn the Walleye tactics that work in your waters you can work on adapting them to flies. The right fishing buddy can put you lightyears ahead in the search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post

!!!
Hey Frank if you had hot tailed it up here right when I offered, this could have been your fish!

Old 10-01-2012, 08:08 AM

Talking Re: walleye fly fishing.

Do these glow in the dark flies help in murky water at all? There is a lake that's about 30 minutes from me that supposedly has walleye in it. It was originally advertised as a tiger musky lake. However, it's supposedly unknown to most that there are walleye in that lake. The guy at the bait shop informed me that in that lake, they sit close to the bottom... What I had thought about doing is taking bait and trolling the areas that he said they would be in, targeting what they like, then going after them with a fly rod...

Another question:

I have the Missouri river going through my city and it's not far from here... I know that there's a bit of everything in the Missouri. However, as the weather gets colder, shouldn't I see more walleye and pike come down from the north? Now, Missouri is very warm and humid throughout the year and I don't hear of much Pike and walleye... However, no one fishes the river after October... In the spots that I fish, there are a lot of eddys and holes where I fish. Spey rod or at least some kind of spey casting is a must where I fish on the river because there is no backcast (looks like I need to invest in a spey rod combo. Any ideas without spending a ton of cash?).

I didn't really know if anyone has had experience with the missouri, so I thought I'd shoot blindly about it since we're onto the subject of walleye...

Thanks for all of the info...
Old 10-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Banned

I would think that flies glowing in really murky water has got to help. This summer I lost a furled leader that Joni made and tried scuba diving to retrieve it. I have caught a lot of big Walleye in this spot. I was shocked to say the least when I got down there in scuba gear. First of all, it was a lot shallower than I had thought. It was a completely rock bottom, where I had assumed there was sand or silt in at least one section of it. Here's the most surprising part of it. If I held my arm straight out I could not see all the way to my watch. In fact I started loosing my arm just about my elbow. It was not muddy either. It was like being in a giant glass of root beer. It's the worst visibility I have ever been in. I was actually surprised a fish ever sees anything in it. In the future I do plan to use glow in there, and more Orange, White, Yellow etc. that is easier to see.

I'd start watching e bay for the spey stuff. Albright used to make two handers, and at the end of the year had clearance deals that were unbelievable. That's how I got my 15' 10/11 wt. It was so cheap I figured "how can you go wrong"? I wish I had bought more of them now. I did buy two but sold one. I had someone that wanted to learn it and then never got around to it so I finally sold the rod to someone I really hope put it to use. I put a Trevor Morgan 10/11 wt spey line on it and you can't believe how far you can cast it. Being that you may use this on the Missouri, which is a lot like the river here, I'd go as big as you can find. 15' or as close to it as money well let you get. Heavy as well. 11 wt. or as close as you can find. Since you are new to this, let me know what you get and we can figure out a line that won't kick your butt right out of the gate. If you can get a rod that Trevor Morgan's lines will work on that would be great. Those lines are very 'new guy' friendly. Short belly lines. They seem to be really tough. Every once in a while I blow an anchor trying to hit Canada and whack something behind me. So far I have not been able to hurt the line doing it. Killed more than one fly that way though.

I have never fished the Missouri but I have looked at it near Kansas City. I would think that it's pretty much like fishing here but with Cats. Cast far, clousers, let 'em sink. If you can find something else coming in, especially if it has little rapids, fish right up where they meet or the bottom of the fast water. Toss it up in the fast water and strip like a mad man till you hit the bottom. The fish are often way farther up in the rapids than you would think. Bridges are good. They put rip rap to keep the bottom from eroding away and that attracts crayfish, minnows and the fish that eat them. I like our railroad bridge because the guys that work on it are to lazy to haul the big chunks of steel they replace off the bridge, so they chuck them over the side. It makes a reef down there. There is bait holding structure, ambush structure, fly snagging structure, etc. but it holds fish. I don't think the shade hurts anything either.

Now for that Tiger Musky place you mentioned. You really ought to go hit that with a fly rod also. They are very catchable on flies. Flies like these;
You will need to tie a leader they won't clip you off with. If you want to give it a try I'll explain how to tie them.
delopez likes this.