The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 03:03 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: walleye fly fishing.

I've tried several times for musky there and haven't landed one. Now, I got to close to them with the boat and watched them jet off (really frustrating when you were trying to throw into that area and they dart off because the wind blows your boat too close...). The only reason that I didn't try throwing the fly that day was because I didn't have the proper line on there to handle the large flies. I have a GPX line on there, now (which I hate) and I'm getting ready to go to a rio outbound for tossing big stuff like the flies above and wind-resistant poppers. This doesn't include the wind issue...

I was actually out there yesterday, trying to spey cast an old rio switch line (6/7wt) that I had on my single hand 7wt, using a 10' 20lb test floro leader with a #4 black wooly bugger on it. I just wanted to see how well the long belly would perform with a sunken, heavy fly. Btw, it wasn't so good... Of course, I don't like the switch line much, either... Again, this is where that nice 15' spey rod would come in handy. Also, In the particular spot, I walk to feet into the water and I'm likely to be 50' under the water. So, I don't dare walk into the missouri.

To address the spey issue, since I'm directly on the bank, wouldn't I want more of a skagit style head for lanuching these heavy flies and sink tips out there?

I'm also interested in these flies! I am a novice at fly tying!
Old 10-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

For big flies I like the SA Pike/Musky taper line. I can put a pretty big fly far enough I won't spook 'em unless the fly does it.

I love the 15' two hander idea. As for single hand spey casting, experiment where on the line you should start at.

For Walleye I don't use sink tips. Or at least almost never. I get fish from really deep as well. It's a personal thing on how you want to do it, but I don't like Skagit or Scandi type stuff. I'v seem the Missouri by KC, is there some reason you ca't wade a few feet out? Your banks are a lot clearer than mine are and I don't need to get very far in the water.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:44 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

I don't usually walk out in water that I can't see. Considering how dirty and muddy the missouri is, I get a bit nervous about that water. I guess I could tie a rope to myself and walk out on the sand bars.

I'm headed to the lake, this upcoming weekend. This will be a good learning experience.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need to walk very far out in it. I don't go more than 12 or 15 feet and I'm casting straight across. If you do any down river angle to it you need even less. In fact I can cast down river at a 45 and do it without getting my feet wet. I pretty much don't ever do the 45 thing because I want as far out in the river as I can get. If you do like I do and count the fly down before you start to strip, you loose to much of the 'out' before it gets down. You don't need to get deep either. You just need a little water for your anchor. If you are leery of it you can always use a wading staff. I am going to this Fall. You have a lot more mud there than we do here so I would assume it is less of a slip and fall hazzard than here is. Another thing you can do if you want is to wear a CO2 inflatable life vest. They have those suspender type that are pretty out of the way.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:02 AM

shovelbmk is on a distinguished road

Diver Dan - I am truly amazed by all the info in this post, and how knowledgeable you are on the subject! I was trying to PM you, but that choice wasn't available for you.

I am new to this site, and new to fly-fishing. So new, that I don't even have equipment yet! I am currently in Afghanistan, but will be returning to North Carolina in about a month. I started fishing off the Atlantic Coast last fall and fell in love with salt-water fishing. I have been researching equipment for fly fishing for redfish and other salt species, however I have always loved fishing for walleye.

I thought it would be cool to be able to fly fish for walleye, so I googled it, and this thread came up.

I am from Western PA, and have fished walleye most of my life there - not very successfully at most of the time. I spent many years doing the traditional drifting or trolling live bait, not always catching fish. We stumbled across some shallow-water action about 6 years ago, mainly fishing shallows at night. This is where my thought of fly fishing for these rascals comes in.

I've already learned a lot from this thread, and hopefully learn more once I do more research here, but it looks like you've given me a great starting point. I am researching rods and reels, and was looking at an 8 or 9wt. for my coastal fishing needs. It sounds like it might almost be overkill for the walleyes, but for now, I only want to get one outfit, then get more eventually as money allows.

Where i'll eventually need help is when the summer months come along. Traditionally, the walleye anglers I've been with have all fished real deep during the hot months, then only catching a handful of fish, and being lucky if any are keepers. I'm intrigued by your summer and fall success.

I plan on also taking my skills to the western portion of North Carolina to try some of their cold-water reservoirs for walleyes as well.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention i'll also be fishing from a Hobie Pro-Angler14 kayak.

Sorry for how long-winded this is, and I appreciate your time.

Brian
Old 05-25-2013, 05:02 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

One thing about Dan,,he ain't guessin'. He fishes. I can tell he's the real deal too.
(Dan, just send me that 20 when you get a chance for the plug LOL)

Mike
Old 05-26-2013, 03:03 AM

shovelbmk is on a distinguished road

Doesn't sound like he's guessing at all - and the proof is in the pics! Making me want to get back from here and on the water even more!! Dang these last 30 days are gonna be long!
Old 05-27-2013, 12:37 PM

troutonfly10 has a spectacular aura abouttroutonfly10 has a spectacular aura abouttroutonfly10 has a spectacular aura about
Question Re: walleye fly fishing.

I'm pretty new to flyfishing for species other than trout and the occasional bluegill, and I would love to get into bass and Walleye fishing being that I am in SD. There are alot of lakes around here as well as the Missouri River and they always produce 'eyes. I have a 5 weight 8'5 cabelas brand rod with scientific anglers weight forward 5 wt floating fly line, and a 8 ft tippet of Rio 3x. I usually fish for trout but I do have the clousers and big, meaty flies that you mentioned for walleye. Is my equiptment ok for walleye fishing and how should i proceede with catching them? I've heard that you have to cast pretty far out >30 ft from shore (which is no problem for me) and you have to be at least 2 ft deep. Then you should strip hard and fast in 1-2 ft strips. Any info or tips?
Old 05-28-2013, 01:44 PM

glassblower is on a distinguished road

Dan,

I live in Western Wisconsin, have my whole life. I grew up fly fishing for everything... don't get me wrong as kids we were meat fishing some species; Walleyes, Sunnies and Croppies. And just exercising the Trout, Bass and Northern's.

I first really encountered Spey casting out West... but it always looked like it would be THE way to fish streamers and big Bass Bugs on a fly rod. I currently use an 8 wht Loomis GL3 and can fish to just about anything with it. However a Spey Rod would make casting so much more effective for me.

I don't know anyone around me who fishes a Spey Rod to be able to try various rods. I'm looking to put together a rig for this Summer. I've been talking to friends who do have rods but they live out west. So my question to you is... What rod length, Wht type of line and action works best for you in the way you fish? Until I read this thread I had been thinking of a rod around 11' for an 8wht. Now you have me thinking longer.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:18 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Might be a while before you get an answer. Maybe call him.