The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2007, 11:22 PM

Stevew is on a distinguished road
Default What are your favorite foam flies?

I do alot of panfishing and recently have used several foam flies with great success.My favorite so far is a foam ant i make with 1/4" black foam tied over brown chennile.It has red rubber legs tied in the center in an X pattern with a brown hackle feather tied in the center of the x.All tied on a #8 hook.Works great in the local ponds.Usually slow drifted.
What are your favorite proven foam flies?A recipie with hook size and colors would be very helpful.Fishing patterns would also help.Photos would be great.Thanks.

SteveW
Old 08-26-2007, 09:35 AM

Fishplease is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What are your favorite foam flies?

I love the al's foam hopper in green.
I use green foam cut from small squares, copper wire, green marabou as the underbody dubbing, green bucktail instead of elk hair, and black and green striped rubber legs.
(2nd fly)
Foam Panfish Flies - Fly Angler's OnLine "Intermediate Fly Tying Part 42"
Old 08-27-2007, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I like Chernobyl Ants, and foam poppers. I forget who they're made by, but they're made from the same foam as cheap flip-flops, have the hole for the hook shank, and a cupped face. They're tough, and they decorate pretty well with a sharpie.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:12 AM

persistence is on a distinguished road

I love those colorless flies.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:52 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

My favorite is a pupae: take semiclear whitish packing foam. The sheet stuff used to pad picture frames and such from China. The paper thin stuff. Cut a small strip ..wrap around hook to form tapered body...and finish with dubbing to form thorax and use thread to form mandible area on head. Always black thread. Brookies love em.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 03-29-2008, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Short legged golden stone tied chernobyl style, and a black closed cell foam beetle with a peacock herl underbody.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 03-29-2008, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroostookbasser View Post
My favorite is a pupae: take semiclear whitish packing foam. The sheet stuff used to pad picture frames and such from China. The paper thin stuff. Cut a small strip ..wrap around hook to form tapered body...and finish with dubbing to form thorax and use thread to form mandible area on head. Always black thread. Brookies love em.

aroostookbasser, your mentioning of the packing foam reminded me of a fly that Gary LaFontaine was very big on, it was called the "Airhead", are you familiar with it?

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 03-30-2008, 06:01 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Not familiar with the name...

North Woods Wanderings

Old 03-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

I tried to find a pic to post, had troubles, so here's a link so you can see it
No i'm not advocating another forum, just needed a pic, hope this is ok to do. Go down to post #38.Kern River Fly Fishing Forum - Gary LaFontaine Swap- CLOSED

Old 03-31-2008, 06:11 AM

Coool Fly......;have to tye a few and check them out. Will have to locate his booh too.

North Woods Wanderings