The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Flies (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/flies/)
-   -   Fly Assortment for VA & NC (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/flies/2513-fly-assortment-va-nc.html)

flycaster 09-19-2007 08:11 AM

Fly Assortment for VA & NC

Since I'm new to fly fishing, can you recommend a solid base assortment of flies (types, names, colors, etc.) that will work for smallmouth, panfish, and trout in the streams and ponds of VA and NC? Would it best to go to Orvis and order their assortment or individually pick flies? Where is a good online store to order from? I apologize if this has been asked a hundred times before on the forum.
Thank you!

jdgrubbjr 09-19-2007 06:51 PM

Re: Fly Assortment for VA & NC

Flycaster,

I have a few questions before I can give you any recommendations.

Are you planning on fishing for trout year round?

Are you planning on fishing for stocked trout, wild trout, or both?

Do you plan on using dries, nymphs and streamers for trout?

Without naming streams, what sections of North Carolina and Virginia are planning to fish for trout? (Northwest North Carolina, Western North Carolina,
Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Shenandoah National Park, Southwest
Virginia, etc.)

What times of the year are you planning to fish for smallmouth?

Without naming streams/rivers, what sections of North Carolina and Virginia are you planning to fish for smallmouth?

What type of rod/reel do you have to fish for trout and smallmouth?

I'll be more than happy to help you if you'll let me know.

flycaster 09-20-2007 09:32 AM

jdgrubbjr,
I'll be fly fishing for wild trout using dry flies in central and western VA and the GSMNP of NC year round.
For smallmouth, I'll be fishing the central and western regions of VA and western NC year round.
I use a SA 9' 5 Wt.
Thanks!

jdgrubbjr 09-20-2007 05:49 PM

Private message sent.

flycaster 09-21-2007 02:16 PM

jdgrubbjr,
Your reply is extremely helpful. I appreciate you putting your valuable time and effort into the response.

jdgrubbjr 09-21-2007 02:32 PM

I'm glad that you found the information useful. Don't be intimidated by fly-fishing, we've all been there. If I can help again, let me know. Feel free to send me a P.M. I'm leaving tomorrow morning for a 4 day float on the New River with my brother-in-law, so I may be out of pocket for a few days. We're going to go aggravate the smallmouth!

Fishplease 09-21-2007 03:15 PM

I've been fly fishing for trout with dries before.

The most common mayfly species in the east are sulphur mayflies which have a bright yellow body with clear parts, and up north of baltimore, can grow to nearly an inch long. The best flies for this are sulphur flies, which can be found at random places, and a light hendrickson.(size 12-16)

Theres also small stoneflies, often lime colored. The best sizes are about 14-16.

For panfish? Anything foam, including but not limited to, green grasshoppers, black beetles, and spiders.

Bass are too easy. Any minnow shaped fly colored white that sinks. White wooly buggers, deer hair bass bugs, clouser minnows are extremely good.