The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 10:27 AM

fish_4_all is on a distinguished road
Default Using actual fish skin for tying

I tried this many years ago and the roadkill thread got me thinking about it again. Has anyone tried to dry fish skin either the actual skin or the fins of fish to use in fly tying? When I did it I tried to dry salmon tails to be able to use the skin between the rays for scud backs and cases. I messed it up and haven't tried since, I left it out too long in the moist PNW weather and they molded and rotted.

If I decide to try this again, does anyone have a suggestion for keeping it pliable and preserved?
Old 04-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Using actual fish skin for tying

Hi,

Goggle 'Fish Skin Art Alaska' and take a look at Fish Creek Co. from Ketchikan and maybe e-mail them to see if they tan their own skin. There is a Native Lady who is listed there also in an ADN article.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-07-2012, 04:46 PM

Not really looking for tanned skin, kinda want the scent of the skin on the fly. Figured it should work well to add scent to a minnow or other pattern. I know, kinda taboo in true fly fishing but for salt water and panfish fishing could be a real advantage.

But I will contact her and see if she has any input. Could be just the ticket.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:47 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Adding scent to a fly makes it bait. Even if it's a fish part. Can't use it in artifical lure or flies only waters. Just something to remember.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:53 PM

Don't spit on it either, saw someone get nailed for that a couple years ago.

Is more for trout and panfish than anything else. But I will make sure that I don't have any in my salmon box when bait is prohibited.