The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bigjim5589

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 07:57 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Default how much "modifcation" is too much to a classic trout fly?

Working on re stocking my fly box, made it to town today and resupplied on flashabou, bead heads, peacock herl and brown biots but I forgot to buy some more white biots and some brown hackle.

Working right now at getting a healthy supply of prince nymphs and was curious if it is 100% mandatory to have hackle on a prince?

I have a few white biots but could I make a "flashback" prince by replacing the white biots with my whitish flashabou?

Im just curious how much you can actually change on a fly before it begins to imitate and represent another bug or insect.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:07 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how much "modifcation" is too much to a classic trout fly?

Modify it to your heart's delight. Many experiments on classic patterns lead to fish catching designs.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:14 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Personally, I feel the only time you have to be careful when making changes is when tying dry flies, as you may not end up with something that really mimics the natural or even floats correctly. But, with nymphs, wet flies & streamers, you can do about anything you want. I hate tying with biots, always have, and never liked how they're so stiff. So, whenever I tie patterns that call for them, I usually substitute rubber or silicone leg material instead. Still looks similar, and for me has worked just fine. I also like the Flashback version of a Prince.
Rip Tide likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 04-13-2012, 11:10 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Go to the post office and get a free tyvek priority mail envelope. Cut substitutes for the white biot wings out of the tyvek. They work fine.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-16-2012, 05:47 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

Just received a Tyvek envelope, going to have to try it out. Thanks

I got looking at my fly box and found a prince that I bought up in Montana and the back wing things are flashy material (almost like an extra extra wide mylar) but they are flat and cut exactly to the shape of biots. Should I try to do something more like these or just make a bit of a cape out of flashabou? (heck Might just make both for kicks and giggles)

Dry flys I dont mess with, I honestly dont even tie them because mine never float or hold up like the ones I buy in shops.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:49 PM

txshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura about

If the fish don't like it, then you made the wrong changes. If fish eat it, then good job!
Old 04-16-2012, 07:12 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

You can never overmodify. At some point however, it becomes a new fly and you can name it.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:58 PM

trout333 is on a distinguished road

Sky's the limit! How about using the brown biots for the wings? I tie a "Ginger Prince" that is ginger biots for the tail and wings. Works great!