The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2007, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Wooly Worms

Hi

I was born and raised in Fresno, CA but never made it to Pyramid Lake. I fished the Truckee river but never knew about Pyramid Lake until later in life. Did you fish from a ladder when you were there?

Here is a link to an article about fishing Pyramid Lake for those not familiar with the fishery.

Frank
Old 12-06-2007, 09:51 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I use a brown body ,orange tail, and grizzly hackle one for the October caddis here..The insect is a size 10...Also for panfish, crappies and bass...trout will hit one tied to imitate the web worm catapiller...they are good to imitate any catapillers falling from the trees and brush...try using varigated chenille for the bodies..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 12-06-2007, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi

I was born and raised in Fresno, CA but never made it to Pyramid Lake. I fished the Truckee river but never knew about Pyramid Lake until later in life. Did you fish from a ladder when you were there?

Here is a link to an article about fishing Pyramid Lake for those not familiar with the fishery.

Frank
Yes I did as a matter of fact LOL, but the funniest thing seen all weekend was a guy coming off his ladder to release a fish, when he climbed back up the ladder he lost his balance at the top and fell off, there was a lotta "chucklin" goin on all the way down the row of anglers.

Now the coolest thing was these 2 fellas that had set up some scaffolding, they had lawn chairs and a cooler up there with them, funny how much farther they could cast when they were 5' feet above the water.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 12-10-2007, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Frank,
I just found out a couple months ago that a good friend of mine now lives in Reno, looks like I may have to make a trip to Pyramid in the spring.
J.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 12-10-2007, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Frank,
I just found out a couple months ago that a good friend of mine now lives in Reno, looks like I may have to make a trip to Pyramid in the spring.
J.
That sounds like a good deal to me. Make sure you post some pictures.

Frank
Old 02-25-2008, 11:06 PM

06 KJ Sport is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
I like that color combination with the herl Frank, and I will be honest in saying I have never even thought of adding weight to one(not sure why I havn't) but makes good sense.

I was thinking about the Wooly Worm and remembered that it was and probably still is the go to fly for the big Lahontan Cutthroat in Pyramid Lake, seems like they were popular in olive and purple crystal chenille. Been 15 yrs since I've been there.
Still is a very popular fly and many colors to choose from, I was at Pyrimad just last week. Fishing is starting to get HOT
Old 03-03-2008, 08:05 PM

Coster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 KJ Sport View Post
Still is a very popular fly and many colors to choose from, I was at Pyrimad just last week. Fishing is starting to get HOT

I am going to be at pyramid in a few weeks, I hear the south nets is going to close on the 15th. Will that have a big impact on the fishing? It will be my first time at Pyramid.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:19 PM

06 KJ Sport is on a distinguished road

The lake is hot right now. There are many many locations on the west side of the lake to fish at. The North Nets North, Windless Bay, Spider Point, Shotdog, Winno, and The Tammaracks. Check with the Reno Fly Shop when you get to town for up to date fishing info. They also have a great selection of flyies!!
Old 03-08-2008, 11:45 PM

Coster is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the insight, I will give them a call. Lahontan's here I come!
Old 03-09-2008, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

Don't forget the camera!!