The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2007, 01:13 PM

burns is on a distinguished road
Default Wooly Worms

Has anyone here had success with Wooly Worms? They look simple enoguh to tie.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Wooly Worms

Come to think of it, they do look quite a bit like the web worms that are still pretty widespread in TX trees. Wonder if fish find those tasty?

I've never caught anything on a wooly worm before, but I've been meaning to give them a try.

I caught some greenies on a sloppily tied one of these last night- "Tom Thumb - #247 FAOL"

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:47 PM

troutbum is on a distinguished road

Yes!!Wolly Worms are fantastic searching patterns.I tie all of mine with cone heads or beads.I find red and dark maroon ones most effective.
Tight Lines
Aaron
Old 11-02-2007, 07:43 PM

Fishplease is on a distinguished road

Oh yes, they work for everything! I bought some yellow with red hackled and silver wire, they actually float for a few seconds first. Which can look like a caterpillar floating, then sinking! And depending on where you live, the right colors can be deadly. Like here, we get monarch's that make nests on trees overhanging water, which drop caterpillars right into the water and are usually black with yellow patches.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:08 PM

Silver Doc is on a distinguished road

I found them to be effective on big streams and also on small streams here in PA when the water is high, cloudy and early winter. Usually a black or green wooly works. Frank
Old 11-05-2007, 07:22 AM

burns is on a distinguished road

Great! I'm going to throw a few together and give them a try. Since I'm right on the PA border I'll start with black and green, and I'll do a dark maroon one too.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:56 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

Burns,
I've had some success with a Wooly Worm in some Texas Tanks with bream and crappie. I've never had any luck with them trying to catch trout. I prefer a cousin on the Wooly Worm known as the Crackleback for trout. I feel that it mimics more than one form of aquatic life: worm, midges, even emergers of mayflies and caddis. I fish is as a dry fly and at the end or the drift I strip it in. It catches fish pretty consistantly with both methods. This of course is just my opinion. Very easy to tie as well. Here is a link to the pattern:

OzarkAnglers.Com -Crackleback

I hope this helps.
Tight Lines,
Terry
Old 12-06-2007, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Wooly Worms are an old favorite, use them often for night fishing on the lakes around here in olive, black, brown, and halloween with a grizz hackle
They work well at ice out also.

Panfish and bass will also eat Wooly's.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Burns,

The Wooly Worm was very popular back in the old days. Then the Wooly Bugger came along and the Wooly Worm got forgotten. The very first fly that I tied and fished with was a Wooly Worm. It is an easy fly to tie. I like Grizz hackle with a red wool butt and peacock pulled over the back. My best Grayling fly was a Wooly Worm with a gray body tied as above and weighted.

Frank
Old 12-06-2007, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I like that color combination with the herl Frank, and I will be honest in saying I have never even thought of adding weight to one(not sure why I havn't) but makes good sense.

I was thinking about the Wooly Worm and remembered that it was and probably still is the go to fly for the big Lahontan Cutthroat in Pyramid Lake, seems like they were popular in olive and purple crystal chenille. Been 15 yrs since I've been there.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*