The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2007, 01:07 PM

burns is on a distinguished road
Default Glo bugs / egg flies

Do many of you folks use glo bugs / egg flies as a prospecting fly? In my case, this would be for use in stocked trout water in northern Delaware / Southeast Pennsylvania.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Glo bugs / egg flies

I haven't fished any recently, but wanted to throw out a cool trick to make tying them neater.

Basically, but instead of using a 1-4 short pieces of yarn, start out using a piece of yarn about 8-12" long. Use one end of it on top of the hook shank, throw on a couple of wraps, and then spin it around to the bottom of the hook shank with a firm tug. Now really secure it. Now tie the other end of the long piece of yarn to the top securely. (You should have a loop of yarn off to the side away from the eye of the hook.)

To trim, grab the yarn attached to the top of the shank, pull up firmly, and make a cut with your scissors horizontal about 1/4" above the shank. Repeat on the bottom. Throw away the short piece, and repeat the process with 7.5"-11.5" of yarn you've got left.

I think you'll find this makes tying glo-bugs faster and neater. (Kudos to Bruce Young of Tackle Box Outfitters in San Antonio for the tip!)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:31 AM

fatguide is on a distinguished road

burns;

one other trick you can do when fishing for stockers...................
tie your egg fly in dark brown, trim a little closer to the hook shank.........the Purina Suprima (imatates trout chow). Local fly tier and legend John Faust came up with this for stocked ponds.

Just a side note about John, the big fish in "A River Runs Through It" wasn't a fish at all. It was a fish John made that ran on an underwater track. He named him Fernando. After the movie came out John was asked by the Smithsonian if they could put Fernando on display. John's wife Elna said John spent hours in the bath tub getting Fernando "just right". Now you know.............

fish or DIE
Old 11-19-2007, 07:11 AM

burns is on a distinguished road

Interesting. Thanks for the tips, gents.

fatguide, I like the "Fernando" story in your signature - I always wondered about that fish.

Do you guys think that glo bugs (aside from the brown ones) are good searching patterns in general. Are eggs like that in most streams around the country?
Old 11-19-2007, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi burns,

I fished a lot of egg patterns in Alaska but not so in the lower 48. Egg fishing, in my experience, is a very specialized type of fishing. In Alaska eggs are only fished when the Salmon are in the river and spawning. Other times they are seldom used. They work because the fish are focused on eating the millions of eggs in the river. If you are fishing the only egg in the river I don't think it will be a good searching fly.

In your area where you are fishing for stocked trout with the brown egg?? it may work. I think in this case the stocked fish is eating it because it looks like a food pellet and not because the fish thinks it is an egg. I doubt that a stocked fish even knows what an egg is. So again, I don't think an egg pattern would be a good searching pattern. Now if you are fishing where there are Salmon or Steelhead spawning then an egg pattern may be a good choice. Why don't you experiment and let us know how it works out for you.

Frank