The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 08:08 PM

attila will become famous soon enough
Default Poppers ?

Tying up some poppers for the first time useing Wapsi "perfect poppers" and Mustad popper hooks. Any advice or ideas ? Paint choices/schemes ? Gonna use em for bass. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:36 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Poppers ?

I like both of those as well. The bodies hold up well & the hooks are strong & sharp. You can do anything you like as far as paint schemes. Some like to air brush them, for me I usually stick to basic paint. You can get as artistic as you like, but frankly I don't think the fish really care. Paint & a clear overcoat does protect the body a bit.

Most of mine have splayed hackle tails, a wrapped hackle collar, usually black, sometimes some rubber legs added in & often a few strands of flash. I only tie the legs in behind the body too. I used to punch holes in the bodies (cork) & thread the rubber thru the holes but quit that many years ago. Too much trouble, messed up the bodies & the paint. Those Wapsi bodies are tough to make holes in anyway. Much easier to the legs in behind the body, wrap the collar thru the legs & they work just as well anyway.

My colors are basic and what I do most is black, white, chartreuse, then sometimes other colors when I get the urge to do something different. I'll usually paint eyes & give them a coat of epoxy. All this before I try to tie them.

Here's a few I've done: Sorry I don't have better pictures!

The first one has some marabou in the tail. The second one shows the legs real well.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-19-2012, 02:41 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

In addition to painting them you can use a sharpe too. Just tied up a bunch in anticipation of some bass fishing in Michigan and Wisconsin.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:29 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I fish poppers a lot so I make quite a few and unless I'm making them for some one else, I don't paint mine at all. The fish only see the bottom and on fast moving poppers, they only see the wake. I might however clear coat them with epoxy to toughen them up.
The style of popper that you tie depends on the quarry.
Large mouth and pan fish poppers need lots of stationary action coming from material like hackles, marabou, and rubber legs. Stuff that sways and wiggles at the slightest twitch.... It's what the fish like.
Small mouth, pike, and saltwater fish don't care for that silliness. The most important characteristics for these poppers is that they should be streamline and aerodynamic while still capable of making a good loud pop to attract attention.
These fish like their poppers moving rather than stationary and in some cases moving fast, so any additions much more than a supple tail is not only wasted, but detrimental to the action needed.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:06 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
These fish like their poppers moving rather than stationary and in some cases moving fast, so any additions much more than a supple tail is not only wasted, but detrimental to the action needed.

I sometimes find the exact opposite, especially earlier in the year while fish are just starting to spawn or are spawning. Many times, I'll give the popper a good 'pop' and then let it sit, sometimes for up to 10 seconds. If the fish seem reluctant to hit a moving popper, don't be afraid to slow down the retrieve. Many times, that's all it will take. Most poppers incorporate marabou, rubber legs, hackle feather and other things that will move even while you're not stripping them.

Just my .02
Old 05-19-2012, 10:24 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
I sometimes find the exact opposite, especially earlier in the year while fish are just starting to spawn or are spawning. Many times, I'll give the popper a good 'pop' and then let it sit, sometimes for up to 10 seconds. If the fish seem reluctant to hit a moving popper, don't be afraid to slow down the retrieve. Many times, that's all it will take. Most poppers incorporate marabou, rubber legs, hackle feather and other things that will move even while you're not stripping them.

Just my .02
Maybe I wasn't clear
Quote:
The style of popper that you tie depends on the quarry.
Large mouth and pan fish poppers need lots of stationary action coming from material like hackles, marabou, and rubber legs. Stuff that sways and wiggles at the slightest twitch.... It's what the fish like.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:52 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

I use and make my poppers along the same lines as Rip who nailed it as to how they work. While the bottoms of my freshwater poppers are colors that match up to prey whites yellows blacks silver and gold many times I'll paint the top bright or flouredcent colors so I can see them.
On saltwater poppers nothing fancy
Just something that either moves fast or makes a big disturbance in the water. And for saltwater something big that's streamlined and light enough to cast well is a priority over looks.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-19-2012, 08:03 PM

Thanks everyone. Lots of good info as usual So I made ten poppers today and caught a bass on my Sage Bass II rod(it's first fish). It was fun making poppers and I saved myself some $. btw... I'm sure you all knowthis but I figured out that if I turn the popper around I can make a Sneaky Pete

Last edited by attila; 05-19-2012 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Because
Old 05-20-2012, 06:46 AM

cockatouche will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Maybe I wasn't clear
I'd like to jump in on this debate. I do not think there is a one way fits all in popper fishing.
Fast, slow, buggy, streamlined, whatever. If you know you're in bass water, and are not catching bass, (lm's or sm's) the problem is usually presentation.
A smallie will take a buggy popper fished dead still, and a larry will take a sparsely tied, popper fished as fast as you can strip. And if this works in the morning, the opposite might work in the evening
If I have misunderstood anything here, sorry.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:08 PM

I made some weedless ones up today with leftover leader snippets. Darn Lilly pads lol. As far as presentation/color and dressings I made a few different variations and will let the fish decide what they want and how.