The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 10:37 PM

countryfied252 is on a distinguished road
Default Bluegill Flies

I was wondering what flies work good for fly fishing? I have caught a few on poppers and wooly boogers but I was wondering what everyone else uses.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:41 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bluegill Flies

I love bluegills on popper. They'll also take regular dry flies as well as nymphs. Suspend a hare's ear under a popper or a dry fly and give them a choice.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:17 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Beside poppers & buggers, I like foam beetles, foam hoppers & crickets, foam ants, some basic, non descript type nymphs, tied mostly in natural colors, like shades of olive, black, tans & some brown. They just have to be buggy.

Plus, small streamers, such as size 6, 8 or 10 Clousers, tied with bead chain eyes, and with soft materials such as ostrich herl strands, fox tail, coyote tail, or any other fine textured hair that 's long enough. I add a few strands of flash too.

Basic white marabou streamers with a little pearlescent flash works well too.

I use a lot of size 6, 4 or even 2 flies for panfish, and even for Bluegills. They're small mostly, but the larger size flies reduces hooking the smallest fish, and helps keep the larger ones from swallowing the hook as much & getting gut hooked.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-21-2012, 11:23 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

I friend of mine only carriers a few sizes of balck with white leg foam spiders when he goes for gills,, and hasnt needed to use much else. I like poppers and the large dry fly is fun
Mike
Old 05-22-2012, 11:03 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

bully's bluegill spider. yellow. you will catch them all day long

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-22-2012, 11:18 AM

monello will become famous soon enough

My go-to panfish fly is a Madam X. Hands down this catches me the most and biggest fish. Something about the rubber legs I guess. Cast it out and let it sit a moment. Then give it a little tug. The legs will spread out then retract when you stop pulling. I have even caught pan fish in deeper water with this fly.

They are also easy to tie. Get a piece of deer belly and some rubber for legs and you are all set. I even have luck with my worst tied flies.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:21 AM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough

I have my best luck using a Dry flies (mainly the Mosquito). I caught my biggest Gill this year using a Nymph. Popper's are great watching them rush it on top. Any that resemble's Terrestrial's are great. Plan on getting some more Popper's and will try some foam's this year what Jim said
Old 05-24-2012, 01:40 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Gills will hit anything they can fit in their mouth as well as flys that seem far to big for them . When fishing for them I try to use the biggest fit I can to keep the runts away. Funny how little gills will hit flys as long as they are. I've found that the larger gills will chase bait just like a bass and for them I'll use fairly large muddlers and clousers.If I just want to catch a bunch just about any dry, wet , beadhead or popper will take plenty of fish. Throw a San Juan Worm and you can pull one up an every cast. Same goes for any light colored nymph or beadhead.For consistent bog ones streamer fishing is the way to go !
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-24-2012, 10:53 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

I used to chase 'gills and panfish quite a bit and the best fly I ever used was called the Brim Fly
Click the image to open in full size.

I found one place that actually sells 'em: Flies and Popping Bugs Used For Fiy Fishing for Bream

But they're easy enough to tie up yourself (if you tie flies that is).

Fish it on a floating line with short twitches. I caught 'gills, 'seeds, crappie, rock bass, perch, LM bass, SM bass… all sorts of stuff on this little gray spider.

Here's the pattern;
- Hook: nymph, 2X heavy, 2X long, size 10-12
- Thread: UTC 70 - red
- Tail: white marabou
- Body: gray chenille
- Shellback: brown/black, variegated chenille
- Legs: white rubber

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 05-24-2012, 11:59 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

just hammered a bunch of these guys on a green foam spider

allot of fun on the surface

casey

ARFE