The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 10:18 PM

mike63 is on a distinguished road
Default Do we really need so many?

I'm a Colorado and western fisher guy. I've found that 90% of all fish I've caught in my couple years of limted experience have been on one of four flies (not counting wolly buggers) in various combos of single dry, dry dropper and double nymph rig:

Pheasant Tail
Copper John
Parachute Adams
Elk Hair Caddis

I know collecting flies is kind of a hobby and I've now accumulated several boxes of various species that will probably never find their way onto the end of a piece of tippet. Not sure why I take so many to the river. My uncle is an accomplished fly fisherman and does well on the 4 listed above in various sizes.

What if a guy just loaded up on those patterns for a summer and headed on out?
Old 06-08-2012, 10:33 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do we really need so many?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike63 View Post
There is a good chance that one can do well with those four patterns in most waters. However, there are some waters (example spring creeks, highly pressured streams) that matching the hatch will outfish any attractor or generic fly pattern. If one fishes my home water, the Lower Yuba, with those four flies, that fisherman might have a chance.

I'm on record for this forum for stating that I am a minimalist when it comes to fishing. I gave up carrying the loaded down vest long ago in favor of stuffing whatever I can into my pockets. Yes, I have several fly boxes. But it is very easy to do some homework to load key flies into one box.

Dennis

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 06-09-2012 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 06-08-2012, 11:42 PM

mike63 is on a distinguished road

I tell ya what, I am also tired of the loaded down vest. Father's Day should bring a nice Orvis fishing shirt with plenty of pockets. A lanyard with a few other items and I'm set. Not bad advice really to go minimal.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:55 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Mike,

I'm gonna be frank and say that tying all those flies and doing so many other unnecessary things is what makes fly fishing both interesting and challenging. If I wanted my hobby / passion to be simple I'd fish with a super nice spinning rod and reel. I could very easily dangle a nymph under a bobber and if I used 4 pound line could cast the rig pretty far as well.

I generally stick to a few very well proven flies when I go fishing but I have 6 boxes in the tackle bag back in the boat and the inside of the box I carried today looked like this......

Click the image to open in full size.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-09-2012, 08:02 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Go check out Josh Rickards confidece pattern section on his website Rocky mountan fly fisher.

I heeded his advice and it helped get me to the answer of the question you just asked. I used to have 3 fly boxes, now I still have three fly boxes but they are more organized with more of a purpose. As Ard said part of the fun is having /tying / trying the stuff. Instead of having 4 patterns you know nothing about have 4 size /color / bead variations of a Barr Emerger.

1) Loaded with the flies you mention in different sizes and variation. Tons of BWO,Adams, Caddis dries. Tons of copper johns, PT, Hares Ear, Barr Emerger,Prince Nymphs in different sizes/colors, RS2,midges. This box goes with me everywhere

2) Big attractor box, Stimulators, San juan worms, Hoppers, Ants, Huge caddis dries, Stonefly patterns. This is for pretty much summer time May-Jul

3) Box of streamers and salmonfly patterns....only comes out for certain rivers at certain times of the year.

One final confession, I do have a little tin full of Trico's that I bring out once a year when I head on a 3hr drive to fish a stretch of river that has an epic trico hatch in early September

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 06-09-2012, 11:07 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

I'm with Ard on this! If I just wanted it simple, a cane pole, line, a float, hook & earthworms would be sufficient. I enjoy tying almost as much as fishing. I carry way more stuff than I need when I'm out fishing, but so what. My fly boxes are already over flowing, but I keep tying a few here & there anyway.

Going minimal is fine if it's a necessity, but too me it's not gotten to that point.

I own a tackle shop's worth of tackle, and I don't just fly fish. I make many of my own lures too.

I just went back to work last week. I spent 3 months home dealing with some health issues. The doctors at first thought I had a problem with my heart, then they thought I might have a muscle disease. I saw 7 different doctors while I was out. Turned out to be neither, I'm just getting older & have some arthritis issues in most of my joints. My job is beating me up, but I'm not in a position to give it up just yet. Life sucks like that sometimes!

My point here is to enjoy what you can while you can, because you never know what life might throw at you! I feel fortunate right now that I'm in reasonably good health. There are folks who are worse off. I'll keep tying flies & making lures too as long as I'm able, and carry more than I'll ever need. To me it's all part of the fun & enjoyment of the sport.
mcnerney and mike63 like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 06-09-2012, 03:52 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Had to laugh when I read the thread post up and what followed. Years ago, if I fell in, I'd sink like a rock I swear to God. Now? A fly box not much bigger than a pack of smokes in one pocket, two spools of leader material in another and a small string of 'tools' clipped to my shirt front by a set of 'hemostats' used as a hook remover. Strong preference they be used to remove the fly from them ... not me.

That all aside, the one thing that folks don't have on them is a good Police Whistle (mines on the end of that Hemo cord tool kit noted above). You have a problem, you're out of cell phone range (or its soaking wet and doesn't work) and in deep do-do. No one will ever hear you call for 'help.'

The sound of a whistle, that (and the Universal three blasts) can be heard one hell of a long way off. Even over the noise of a boat motor.

A good thing me thinks.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:17 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

In my opinion, the short answer is no, but, that hasn't stopped me from putting together numerous fly boxes full of flies

I actually fish about a dozen different flies regulary, but, it is nice to tie up flies to match particular hatches, or when you know you are going someplace where there is a specific hatch going off.

I can catch fish with a few specific nymph patterns, but, when the blood midges or damsels are going off at the lake, I make sure to have some of those with me.

And like Fred, whether wading or float tubing, I always carry a good whistle.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:55 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike63 View Post
I'm a Colorado and western fisher guy. I've found that 90% of all fish I've caught in my couple years of limted experience have been on one of four flies (not counting wolly buggers) in various combos of single dry, dry dropper and double nymph rig:

Pheasant Tail
Copper John
Parachute Adams
Elk Hair Caddis

I know collecting flies is kind of a hobby and I've now accumulated several boxes of various species that will probably never find their way onto the end of a piece of tippet. Not sure why I take so many to the river. My uncle is an accomplished fly fisherman and does well on the 4 listed above in various sizes.

Me- BWO with an RS2 dropper, or Elk Hair Caddis with a Bead Head Hare's Ear dropper. Yep, probably 90% or better.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:25 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

Some flies are better for some situations. for example your crab fly should semi match the color of the sand. I have 3 permit crab flies and thats just crab flies... bottom line you have a greater chance of catching a fish if you have several offering than one fly that may or may not work.