Ever dropped a fly box and lost your flies?

flyfisher117

Reaction score
I was out fishing the other day and sitting on a rock changing flys, I accidentally dropped my box and it bounced off the rock and into the water. I had just spent $30 to fill it up a month or two before, it wasn't full but I lost a fair amount.
only recovered a few.
Anyways I'm a little bit over my fly fishing budget for this summer and. Curious how would be the best way to refill my box? Just want to get the most flys for the money, without loosing a ton of qality. I noticed that Barnsley fly Company sells packs of 50 dry flies for $31, all of the flies but maybe 3 are what I fish but I'm. Curious if anyone can comment on quality?

Cheapest flys I can buy locally are $.99 and that is an hours drive from my house. After I figure my gas I think it is cheaper to order online and pay shipping.

Thanks.

Reactions: Ard

williamhj

Reaction score
Recently did the same thing. The supposedly 'floating' box went right to the bottom and washed down into a rather fast and rocky area. There were a lot of flies, but the hospital or funeral costs would have outweighed the replacement costs of the flies. I tie mine so didn't buy replacements, just rebuilding at the vise. Don't know about the company you mentioned.

wt bash

Reaction score
Yes Sir sure have, a full box of beadheads and weighted nymphs. Oddly enough it was the first time I didn't flip out over something like that. In a weird way I was relieved. I'm not anti nymph but I don't realy like to fish them so I just chocked it up as anothers gain. For cheap flies I can't help there, $31 sounds almost too good to be true but I haven't bought flies in a while. Worse comes to worst just give them some extra head cement and invest in a bottle of watershed and give them a good soak the day before.

webrx

Reaction score
I have had good luck with "the troutspot" when I have ordered online, about $.70 each. But mostly have been tying my own with rare exceptions, I hate tying copper johns, and muddler minnows, so those I order.

d

L

Liphookedau

At some time we have lost a Box of Flies,however Ive never worried as I've usuall plenty more or I get to work & replace them.

Try Ebay you can usually buy Flies cheaper than you quoted or have you ever thought of Tying your own???
Brian

steve_eth

Reaction score
I just ordered two assorted kits from Orvis for $9.00 each. It says limit one per household but it let me put a quantiy in so.. what the hell?
Not sure of the quality and didnt look to hard at the types but 20 flys for $9.00 is spot on for any budget. Might be a good cheap supplement at the very least.

Best Trout Flies / 20 Most Popular Selection -- Orvis

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
:eek:it happend to me twice...once I was guiding in Austria and dropped two boxes in the water...fortunately my friend the Fischmeister was wading not far downstream....I shouted like mad and he could net both as they drifted near him:Donce again in Austria I lost a nymph box on the bank and only noticed it when I left the river.When I arrived at the dinner table in the evening for a meal with all the group there was a little packet with a nice paper and a ribbon in my plate....it was my box:eek::eek:can tell you everybody laughed a lot when I opened the little"present":D:D

jaybo41

Reaction score
Once I was hiking pretty deep in the woods and through some pretty rough terrain. I made a jump across a small ravine and didn't notice it at the time but lost my fly box. By the time I got to the main trail I noticed that I was missing a box, so I re-traced my steps. Luckily, I found it. Since then I have always put my contact info on my fly boxes. Not that this would have helped you out in this case but good recommendation none the less. You may not always get a phone call or email from somebody, but there's nothing more to lose at that point.

As for cheap flies. In some cases you get what you pay for. I have had good luck with Hills Discount Flies and The Fly Stop. Both have some patterns that I like. I tie a good bit of my own flies but there are a litany of reasons I will purchase flies.

siskiyoublues

Reaction score
Ugh yes I have. Recently actually. Awful timing.
Since then I get a little curly lanyard on it attached to my hip pack.
Never again!

newby

Reaction score
No, I have never done that, but I did come cloes last week while on the San Juan river. Was fishing midges when my buddy asks "Is that you fly box floating down stream?" Sure enough, my precious (yet free to me) Wheatley was floating downstream with ALL of my 100+ hand tied midges! YIKES!! Thanks to him for spottong it and to the wheatley for floating. I quickly had it back.

If I lost a bunch of flies I would tie them, but if you do not tie then this company is pretty good. A dozen of standard patterns for around $3-$5. Granted, the flies are foreign and you should expect at least one to be notably flawed or coming apart. The other 10-11 are really nice for the money, they catch fish and aren't bad flies at all. Orivs quality? No, but you will loose VERY few fish as a result. No state tax unless you live in AZ, too.

Check them out.

Volusion Demo Store

Dries

Dry Flies

Some patterns are more "exspensive" but still very reasonably priced.

Mnflyfish

Reaction score
Haven't lost one yet, but i have dropped my small waterproof box a couple times. i dont keep many in it just for that reason, usually a couple each of my most used flies and maybe a couple that i pick at random, so i may only have a dzn flies out of my pack.

flyfisher117

Reaction score
Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one. I wish I could tie dry flys. I just don't have the material or the skill to tie drys. I have tried to tie elk hairs but I can not get any that pass my judgment, they might be fine I'm just very picky about my flys.

I'm not totally sure what needs replacing, I've never really liked dry fly fishing so it was mostly filled with flys that I was told were good. It none that I had. Caught fish on. My main drys like elk hairs and stones and hoppers staid in Place, I only lost a few of them.

I want more elk hairs and stones as well as humpys and Adams and bwo's.

Barnsley Fly Company : : Quality Flies, Fly Fishing Flies, Dry Fly, Nymphs, Worm Flies, Egg Flies, Barbless Flies, Wet Flies, Trout Flies, Salmon Flies, Mayflies, Caddiflies, Midge Flies, Fly Box : :

That pack has most of what I want and some I've heard are good, maybe I will take one for the team and order one the. Do a write up on here with my houghts on the quality.

Sorry for the bad typing and grammar I'm lazy on the iPhone.

---------- Post added at 06:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

The thing I don't like about buying flys by the dozen is I get 12 of one size if I could buy say 4 of 14 4 of 16 and 4 of 18 I'd be haPpy but 4 of one size would limit me on some of my big floater flys that I like to fish droPpers under.

milt spawn

Reaction score
As a matter of fact, I am currently having difficulty locating a certain streamer box.:confused: Have not yet declared it a goner. milt.

flyfisher117

Reaction score
My tying ablilites arent quite ready for fly swaps, haha Im afraid I would get awesome flys and the other guys would get something that looks like a baby chewed on it and spit it out.