The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 08:37 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Default Ever dropped a fly box and lost your flies?

I was out fishing the other day and sitting on a rock changing flys, I accidentally dropped my box and it bounced off the rock and into the water. I had just spent $30 to fill it up a month or two before, it wasn't full but I lost a fair amount.
only recovered a few.
Anyways I'm a little bit over my fly fishing budget for this summer and. Curious how would be the best way to refill my box? Just want to get the most flys for the money, without loosing a ton of qality. I noticed that Barnsley fly Company sells packs of 50 dry flies for $31, all of the flies but maybe 3 are what I fish but I'm. Curious if anyone can comment on quality?

Cheapest flys I can buy locally are $.99 and that is an hours drive from my house. After I figure my gas I think it is cheaper to order online and pay shipping.

Thanks.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:31 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ever dropped a fly box and lost your flies?

Recently did the same thing. The supposedly 'floating' box went right to the bottom and washed down into a rather fast and rocky area. There were a lot of flies, but the hospital or funeral costs would have outweighed the replacement costs of the flies. I tie mine so didn't buy replacements, just rebuilding at the vise. Don't know about the company you mentioned.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:31 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Yes Sir sure have, a full box of beadheads and weighted nymphs. Oddly enough it was the first time I didn't flip out over something like that. In a weird way I was relieved. I'm not anti nymph but I don't realy like to fish them so I just chocked it up as anothers gain. For cheap flies I can't help there, $31 sounds almost too good to be true but I haven't bought flies in a while. Worse comes to worst just give them some extra head cement and invest in a bottle of watershed and give them a good soak the day before.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:23 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

what flies are you looking for specifically?
Old 06-15-2012, 05:29 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I have had good luck with "the troutspot" when I have ordered online, about $.70 each. But mostly have been tying my own with rare exceptions, I hate tying copper johns, and muddler minnows, so those I order.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:08 AM

yareelohim is on a distinguished road

Which dry flies are you looking for?
Old 06-15-2012, 07:17 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

At some time we have lost a Box of Flies,however Ive never worried as I've usuall plenty more or I get to work & replace them.

Try Ebay you can usually buy Flies cheaper than you quoted or have you ever thought of Tying your own???
Brian
Old 06-15-2012, 10:18 AM

steve_eth is on a distinguished road

I just ordered two assorted kits from Orvis for $9.00 each. It says limit one per household but it let me put a quantiy in so.. what the hell?
Not sure of the quality and didnt look to hard at the types but 20 flys for $9.00 is spot on for any budget. Might be a good cheap supplement at the very least.

Best Trout Flies / 20 Most Popular Selection -- Orvis

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

it happend to me twice...once I was guiding in Austria and dropped two boxes in the water...fortunately my friend the Fischmeister was wading not far downstream....I shouted like mad and he could net both as they drifted near himonce again in Austria I lost a nymph box on the bank and only noticed it when I left the river.When I arrived at the dinner table in the evening for a meal with all the group there was a little packet with a nice paper and a ribbon in my plate....it was my boxcan tell you everybody laughed a lot when I opened the little"present"
Old 06-15-2012, 12:50 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Once I was hiking pretty deep in the woods and through some pretty rough terrain. I made a jump across a small ravine and didn't notice it at the time but lost my fly box. By the time I got to the main trail I noticed that I was missing a box, so I re-traced my steps. Luckily, I found it. Since then I have always put my contact info on my fly boxes. Not that this would have helped you out in this case but good recommendation none the less. You may not always get a phone call or email from somebody, but there's nothing more to lose at that point.

As for cheap flies. In some cases you get what you pay for. I have had good luck with Hills Discount Flies and The Fly Stop. Both have some patterns that I like. I tie a good bit of my own flies but there are a litany of reasons I will purchase flies.