The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 10:21 PM

hooked1 will become famous soon enough
Default Tubes Love em or hate em

Hey All,

Just looking to see if its just me or do others dislike the looks of the tube fly.I am far from a master but I do tie all my own flies.I have seen many great tiers dabble in to tubes.To me it is just not a fly.The profile sucks to the eye.There is no doubt that they produce.Its just not a very pleasing look to me.Nothing seems to flow.No sexy curve.Very blocky.Giant heads.For years it was all about small heads,and still is on most any fly.If you where to ask me I would call it a lazy-mans fly .I have never seen one that looks like a challenge.

Just my 2 cent

Scott
Old 06-23-2012, 11:48 PM

fishingfly will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Tubes Love em or hate em

Depends on what you are fishing for. I think they add some nice versatility to a fly box. Fly Tier magazine had a special on them and of course I have to give it a shot. They showed different ways of rigging it other that the traditional stringer. For example a minnow pattern tied to the line free running through a floating grass tube fly has what seems to be an incredible action. Makes it look like the baitfish is nibbling on the grass. Keep in mind that I am primarily a bass fisherman though, I dont know if I would use it as much for trout.

Make sure to like our facebook page for a chance to win free flies!
Old 06-23-2012, 11:53 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

While I havent fished many tube flies and have yet to tie one, some tube flies a la Greg Senyo and others are right on the cusp of looking like a classic salmon fly tied in the round. Since beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder, why not try tying some tubes that look good to you? No reason you couldn't take a classic style fly that would usually be tied on a 6x or longer hook and tie it on a tube! Then you get all the benefits of a tube and the beauty o the classic!
jaybo41 likes this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 06-23-2012, 11:55 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Ever fished steelhead? got to love them.
MoscaPescador and jaybo41 like this.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:14 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
While I havent fished many tube flies and have yet to tie one, some tube flies a la Greg Senyo and others are right on the cusp of looking like a classic salmon fly tied in the round. Since beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder, why not try tying some tubes that look good to you? No reason you couldn't take a classic style fly that would usually be tied on a 6x or longer hook and tie it on a tube! Then you get all the benefits of a tube and the beauty o the classic!
Gator 'nailed it' with his "tied in the round" comment. That's the deal with tubes, they look the same no matter how rotated (usually). Personally I'm not a 'tube fan' but many, many of the river fishermen here in the PNW swear by them for Salmon and Steelhead fishing.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:07 PM

hooked1 will become famous soon enough

Kayo,steel is mostly what I fish.I am not saying that they are not effective.I have many friends that fish them.I just choose not to tie them.They just dont look like I would be satisfied with the outcome.Maybe its just me?Personal preference I guess .

Scott
Old 06-24-2012, 12:58 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Now I want to see someone tie a Jock O Dee or something similar on a tube. I don't see why you couldn't tie a standard style on a tube?

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 06-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Scott,

I never made any of them and have not used them either. I guess that's because I've got way too many traditional flies to spend time wondering what I should try next. I've fished with a fellow who uses them and they look good when they are traveling through the water.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-24-2012, 02:49 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Now I want to see someone tie a Jock O Dee or something similar on a tube. I don't see why you couldn't tie a standard style on a tube?
My vote goes to Ard to give this a shot! I have no doubt he could make a pretty looking Jock O Dee!

I have fished with them on one occasion and they were productive. As such I have been tying them as of late. Something to break the monotony of 14-18 trout flies. For two handed rods, they seem to be ideal for fishing them on the swing, that's what I intend to do with mine. I'm not sure that I'd tie an Elk Hair Caddis on one but for the non traditional/classic streamers, they are IMHO, ideal.

I've tied some Intruder style flies on standard basic streamer hook, breaking the hook off and adding a stinger and on the tube. I'd have to say the tubes are easier to produce. They're not for everyone, but it's hard to argue with the productivity factor. Many, many fishermen & women more talented than me fish with them for a reason. There are also some incredible tyers out there who make a tube look pretty darn good if you ask me. What's more important than the look though is what the fish think of them.

BTW, the Wooly Bugger doesn't have much of a varying degree of side profile, yet is a highly effective pattern. They look pretty darn good on a tube if you ask me.

Net result, depending on what you fish for, I think they have their place for certain patterns. Other patterns I'll stick with the traditional stuff.

Still not convinced to give them a look? Take a look at this action.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Thanks Jaybo, you're a good fella

The images are hard to argue; the fly in that video looks great. I can only hope that any of mine look like that to a fish! A fellow sent me an Intruder that he tied with the hook trailing behind on a short tether. The fly is so nice I don't want to risk loosing it to some unseen snag in water too deep for me to go after it but I will use it. I would like to learn to make them as well as the one Jack sent me as a gift but it will require that I get a whole new lineup of materials. My other alternative is to ask Jack if he will do a swap with me for my traditional ties and if I had a dozen of his I would probably fish them alot.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;