The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 11:38 AM

jor fly is on a distinguished road
Default What is (Insert Fly) supposed to imitate?

Ok, so having been tying and fishing for about 3 years now, there are still a couple patterns that I look at and wonder, "What in the world???" Having said that, I figured I'd see if anyone else has ever wondered what some of the more popular pattern's out there imitate.

To get things started: Royal Coachman (Wet Fly)
Old 06-27-2012, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is (Insert Fly) supposed to imitate?

Many flies that don't imitate anything catch fish
think this one belongs to this category
Old 06-27-2012, 12:49 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Possibly it's one of those flies that just has the "right" characteristics to imitate a variety of things. What we see these flies as really doesn't matter, it's what the fish mistake them to be.

I've used many flies that were supposed to be a specific imitation of something, but in my own twisted way, have imagined them as something else. I've also used flies that didn't imitate anything that I could really think of at the time but may have used them in a manner that imitated something real. Call it abstract thinking if you like, but I prefer to call it open minded.

One of our greatest fallacies is we too often think of flies in our own terms. We define what they're supposed to be by what we see. Fish don't think, they act on instincts & conditioning from their environment. Really doesn't matter what the fish see when they spot our fly, as long as they see it as food, or as something else they have to bite at.

Food & self preservation is what fish are interested in. They don't even appreciate the art of tying!

How about a Meat Whistle, or an Intruder? How many different things do they imitate?

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 06-27-2012, 01:41 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor fly View Post
To get things started: Royal Coachman (Wet Fly)
The fin of a brook trout
Old 06-27-2012, 03:14 PM

jor fly is on a distinguished road

Great replies everyone! The thought just hit me while tying up a couple telicos the other day. I mean, consider the telico nymph: yellow body, with peacock herl rib....... I know of no nymphs that look quite like that, yet fish in the smokies love them. And don't even get me started on a prince nymph!
Old 06-27-2012, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Fish can be peculiar creatures. I've seen fish that will tune in on only #20 BWO and if you aren't close they shun any offers. Other fish will whack a size 2/0 Skykomish Sunrise like it done something wrong?

I fish the Royal Wulff here for dry flies and they are swell as an attractor.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-27-2012, 03:52 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

I think the Royal Wullff dry fly works on any fish .I tie with orange,yellow,pink and green bands and they all work wherever i have fished them.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:01 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

It does not represent a bug. It represents a baitfish.

Joe Dirt ---> Mullet

Click the image to open in full size.

Also... It puts the lotion on its skin.
milt spawn and theboz like this.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:51 PM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about

if you can tell me what any or most atlantic salmon fly that isnt a shrimp pattern is suppose to me than please fill me in lol, but hey, why question it if it works
Old 07-17-2012, 12:58 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor fly View Post

Great replies everyone! The thought just hit me while tying up a couple telicos the other day. I mean, consider the telico nymph: yellow body, with peacock herl rib....... I know of no nymphs that look quite like that, yet fish in the smokies love them. And don't even get me started on a prince nymph!
You have to view things from a fish's perspective... things look different under water than they do in the vise. The Telico is a good example; where you see yellow floss and peacock herl, underwater it probably looks very much like a drown stonefly washing by. Many cased-caddis worms have a yellow body as well... the Telico could be viewed as a dislodged caddis worm in the process of rebuilding its case (stage of vulnerability).

The body (silhouette) of a Royal Coachman could be viewed as an ant profile... or the contrasting red band could be viewed as a developing egg sack (E. vitreus has a bright red/orange egg sack inside the body).

Peacock herl is magic underwater... it quickly goes from bright green to bronze once wet and has a very buggy overall appearance. The Prince Nymph probably resembles a lot of things, and matches none.

The key to a lasting, effective pattern is impressionism and emphasis of "triggers"... the more real a patten looks, the narrower its window of usage IMO. Remember, many times trout have a split second to make the decision to eat or pass. I guess the thing is, let the fish judge how things "appear" versus how they "look" to us.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring