The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 04:50 PM

Location: Located in the western reaches of Boca Raton, Fl, a mere mile from the rim of the Everglades
bocamike is on a distinguished road
Default Help me identify this fly pattern, please

If I have succeeded (finally) in learning how to insert a picture, I truly would appreciate your review and comment if you happen to know what this fly is. I don't recall where I bought it nor do I know if it is prescribed for salt or fresh water game. I'm thinking it is a freshwater bass fly, but the name escapes me.
Any help to id this pattern will be appreciated. Thanks.

Click the image to open in full size..
Old 06-28-2012, 07:22 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Help me identify this fly pattern, please

Looks to me like one of the freshwater crayfish imitations I was recently looking at for smallmouth. I can't tell you exactly what its name is, but its certainly a crustacean imitation. While it is not exactly it, it looks rather like a holschlag hackle fly. After brief googling I can't find the name of it. Hopefully someone will get it!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 06-28-2012, 07:22 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like a Bonefish pattern I've seen the guides use in the Keys. Along the line of a Crazy Charlie. Seems up by Largo dark is hot in spring.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 06-28-2012, 10:27 PM

fishindave is on a distinguished road

Looks like another variation of the classic Bonefish bugger...Likeing the tail tied low on the hook.

OH MY! OMAN! 2013
"All I want from life is an unfair advantage" W.C. Fields
Old 06-29-2012, 04:18 PM

Location: Located in the western reaches of Boca Raton, Fl, a mere mile from the rim of the Everglades
bocamike is on a distinguished road

Wow, response to my plea for identification of this fly (see picture earlier in this thread) was full of great suggestions and really caused me to think back to where I might have gotten it. As luck will have it, I was able to contact Front Range Anglers in Boulder, Colo. where Bill (the guy I have placed several orders through) responded with the following message:
"This is a pattern originated by one of my staff members and picked up by Solitude Fly Co. It’s called the “Bassmaster” as it was marketed for warm water but obviously it will work for a lot of species. It comes in a couple colors and we have them in-stock."

Now I do recall and I wish to comment that I have used it successfully here in south Florida where I can attest to its effectiveness with Largemouth Bass.

Actually, the following cut and paste from the web site for Front Range Anglers helps confirm possibly it is a crustation imitation with equal success in fresh water and salt water, as follows:

"The BassMaster selection was originally developed as a bass specific pattern, but has caught monster Redfish and a host of different warmwater species as well. The advantage of this fly is that it rides hook up to allow anglers to work tight structure and maximize their hookset. This fly is a must have for the serious bass angler."

Last edited by bocamike; 06-29-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:26 PM

fishingfly will become famous soon enough

I was about to say that it would probably stop a cruising or tailing redfish dead, Ive been looking for some good crawfish

Make sure to like our facebook page for a chance to win free flies!