The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2007, 11:56 AM

Mattfly is on a distinguished road
Default New Fly Fisherman

I just got my first fly rod for christmas (6 wt, 9 ft) and I now have the fun task of collecting flies and assorted gear. Most of the fishing I will be doing is in the new england area and i am about 30 yo.

What kind of flies should I get to start with and what other gear will I need to get (note: "need" is a relative term here, so please limit suggestions to essentials all beginner should have.)

Thanks.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: New Fly Fisherman

Welcome to the group! You'll probably have the most success with pheasant tail nymphs drifted under an indicator. Since you're in NE, home of MANY fly shops, try to find one that has specific knowledge of what works in your area.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:22 PM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

Welcome to "The Quiet Sport" of flyfishing & to
this great forum. I agree with the comments made
by Cliff, check your local fly shop. What types of
fish are in your specific area ? That will really
determine what you will want to pick-up at your
local shop. Then, if you begin to love this sport as
many on this site do, you may want to tie up
your own flies. Anyway welcome

Tie One On
Old 12-27-2007, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Matt,

Welcome to the forum. Cliff is right, you can't beat the information you get from a local fly shop. If you buy something from them they will usually be very helpful.

Frank
Old 12-27-2007, 05:42 PM

JagXJ684 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to JagXJ684

I too just got my first rod (9ft. 8wt), and I'll be getting after Steelhead in the Rocky River near Cleveland. I've seen alot of "Steelhead" flies online, but I don't know if they're worth the couple bucks most want for them. Any ideas?
Old 12-28-2007, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Jag, there's basically 2 categories of steelhead flies: great lakes and western/other. The great lakes versions are mostly wooly bugger variations and oversized nymphs. example:
Click the image to open in full size.

The western ones imitate the food the steelhead were eating out in the Pacific, and are generally brighter colored and larger. example:
Click the image to open in full size.

I would seek out some dealers that specialize in the great lakes varieties.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:28 AM

Thanks Cliff...I really appreciate it. I'm trying to find a decent local fly shop (other than Dick's Sporting Goods, which isn't very good), that can steer me in the right direction. If anyone knows a good shop in the Greater Cleveland area, let me know!
Old 12-30-2007, 06:58 PM

Hey all...spent my first time on the river this morning for about 3 hours. Didn't catch anything, but no one was. I'm just glad I was able to practice casting and tying on a few flies while I was in the river. Feet got a little cold, but all in all, good day. Too bad no fish though.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:30 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagXJ684 View Post
Hey all...spent my first time on the river this morning for about 3 hours. Didn't catch anything, but no one was. I'm just glad I was able to practice casting and tying on a few flies while I was in the river. Feet got a little cold, but all in all, good day. Too bad no fish though.
Hey, it could have been worse - as a former Ohioian, the most frequent thing caught around water up around Cleveland this time of year is a cold!