The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Flies (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/flies/)
-   -   Early season stocked trout in small lakes (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/flies/291482-early-season-stocked-trout-small-lakes.html)

fly_guy12955 07-16-2012 11:21 PM

Early season stocked trout in small lakes

What would be ya'll's best recommendation for 'stocked' trout in small lakes (rainbows mostly) early in the season when the water is still rather cold ? Stocked trout react differently than natural grown trout I suspect, and curious if any of you face this type of trout fishing. Unfortunately here in the east, in my area anyways, stocked trout sometimes,,are the ONLY trout we have.

A preferred Steamer ? Other ? Size ? Color ? Type ? A fly that looks like a grain pellet ? !!!

ANY assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

MoscaPescador 07-16-2012 11:43 PM

Re: Early season stocked trout in small lakes

Don't get carried away with fly selection for stocker trout. Keep your selection simple.

Woolly Bugger types - Olive, Brown, Black - sizes 8 to 12
Soft hackle wet flies - Grey, olive, brown - sizes 12 to 16
Adams dry fly - sizes 14 to 18

For early season, I tend to err smaller.

Another thought. Throw the brightest size 10 Chernobyl Ant. Theory suggests it looks like Power Bait to the fish.

Dennis

fly_guy12955 08-01-2012 10:37 PM

Thanks, Dennis. I shall make note of your suggestions.

Michael

dillon 08-24-2012 10:00 AM

I live on the west coast and fish small private lakes for stocked trout in the early spring. The stocked fish quickly adapt to feeding on insects and there are some larger, wiser hold overs. There are good Chironomid hatches this time of year and the trout key in on them. Effective patterns include sno cones or ice cream cones and griffiths gnats. This kind of fishing is a nice break from chasing winter steelhead and a tune up for river trout fishing later in the spring.

random user 04-01-2013 09:32 PM

" ... A fly that looks like a grain pellet ? !!!"

aka Pellet Fly. More effective if you can find out what the hatchery was feeding, exact what. Dub up a pellet that mimics the stuff; watch the floating or sinking qualities and store the 'flies' in a baby food jar of the stuff. Not the most ethical of things, but very effective (and boring in 15 minutes).

I have hound that stockers like peacock herl, starling and #14 Wulff Royals. In tannic water yellows and purples are kind of important. Over tied flies seem preferred as do flies with lots of movement.

It's often hard to go wrong with a herl bodied & black woolly bugger and pheasant tail nymphs.

Rip Tide 04-02-2013 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by random user (Post 542995)
" ... A fly that looks like a grain pellet ? !!!"

aka Pellet Fly. More effective if you can find out what the hatchery was feeding, exact what. Dub up a pellet that mimics the stuff; watch the floating or sinking qualities and store the 'flies' in a baby food jar of the stuff. Not the most ethical of things, but very effective (and boring in 15 minutes)..

Speaking as someone who worked in a trout hatchery and also ran it's adjoining pay-to-fish ponds, I've had plenty of time to study this and can tell you there is no truth to it.
Pellet flies are no more effective in catching hatchery trout than any other fly that you care to throw.
What the hatctery fish are conditioned to respond to is the sound of many trout chow pellets hitting the water at once. Not the sight of one single one.

quimby 04-04-2013 12:41 PM

I'm not sure if this will work, but I ran across this pattern the other day while watching Tightline videos. The pattern is called CB Stocker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at4mE4q8eeE

mikel 04-04-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip Tide (Post 543095)
What the hatctery fish are conditioned to respond to is the sound of many trout chow pellets hitting the water at once. Not the sight of one single one.

so, toss a handful of pebbles in the water and then toss an Adams in after them?

Rip Tide 04-04-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikel (Post 543951)
so, toss a handful of pebbles in the water and then toss an Adams in after them?

You wouldn't be the first person to try that old trick, and you will get their attention that way.
Unfortunately once they eat a couple of pebbles, they'll know it's a ruse.
Cat chow on the other hand.......:shades:

I used to chum for kids fishing at my ponds with a handful of trout pellets.
I'd just toss it out and have them cast their fly into the center.
Didn't matter what fly.... anything worked.