The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 09:14 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default Carp Flys

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Few carp flys I made, I tried the orange one sunday and got a good hit on a grass carp. hope to test again soon.

MIke
jpbfly likes this.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:35 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carp Flys

Mike: Interesting flies, I have never fished for Carp so have no idea what works and doesn't, but good luck. Seeing how you already have had a hit on the one you are probably on the right track.

Larry
Old 07-17-2012, 09:41 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

I modeled these off some of the ones i seen on youtube, the wacky hook is wide and round so with the weight where it is seems to do ok at keeping it point up.. the hit I had on the one was with my new spey rig and I had it out where the grassies where dredging and I watched the line start moving and as I set hook It felt like a truck witha slow power slap of the tail. but it only lasted a few seconds, then it spit the hook. some of it I think could be the hook shape but next time Ill try a stronger hook set.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:44 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Those are some interesting looking flies!

That red one is intriguing in the shape of the body - how did you build that mass that is the tail?

The yellow/black one seems to be a combo of proven patterns and I think could definitely pull a fish or two.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:52 AM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

Nice flies. next time show us some carps as well.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastroutbum View Post
Nice flies. next time show us some carps as well.
I hope to soon.

as for the red one there is a bit of squrreil tail tied on the hook first, then add the eyes, then crawfsih dubbing,
Mike
Old 07-19-2012, 02:26 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting and unusual tyings Mikelooking forward to seeing if carp like them...
Old 07-19-2012, 09:15 PM

im thinking catfish may like also, I hope to get back out soon.
mike
Old 07-28-2012, 03:35 AM

winxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the rough

I really have to get out and try some carp fly fishing! I have been reading on this and how to tie some flies that carp would bite on.

Op nice flies there ! Seems pretty easy to tie up... Oh be sure to give us a report.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:27 PM

havent had much chance to get out, been slightly distracted
these are very easy to make.