The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 09:40 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need Cheap Materials

I like to keep a running list of the materials that I need and buy them in the winter at one of the fly shows. You can find some deep discounts that way.

.... and talk about Christmas...
Halloween is a good time to find materials too

When i started tying there were no genetic necks, at least that I knew of. We used India necks. I can't really recommend them to a beginner as they're frustrating to work with, but in the most common colors you can find some that aren't too bad... Again, look for them at a show as it's almost imperative that you go through them and pick out what you want in person. ( the barbs can be deceptively long and spaced out )
For a cheaper genetic neck, take at look at the ones from Cabelas catalog, they don't tie down all that small, but the price is right.

I go out of my way to tie dry flies that don't need to be hackled. Flies like the comparaduns, the haystack and the usual.
This year I've also been using an all synthetic dry fly that I've been developing.
With just a dab of floatant, they're unsinkable
Old 08-02-2012, 10:57 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what kind of Hackle you need but it typically is not cheap. Hook & Hackle has in my experience good prices and quality stuff with their name on it.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:28 AM

derek leroy is on a distinguished road

Take a look here http://www.leroyflytying.com. If you can't find something that will workout for you, contact me and let me know what flies you what to tie. I am sure that I can help you with low cost tying materials.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:00 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek leroy View Post
Take a look here http://www.leroyflytying.com. If you can't find something that will workout for you, contact me and let me know what flies you what to tie. I am sure that I can help you with low cost tying materials.
I've used Leroy fly tying before. Good stuff, great selection, not a store that comes up on a lot of search engines though....

Worth checking out!

Eunan

Addicted To Vise
Old 10-08-2013, 07:56 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I don't remember what they call this stuff, but if you go to someplace that sells fabric, you can get a life time supply of sparkle fibers for a couple of bucks. Just unravel what you need -

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 01-04-2014, 10:36 AM

wayjep is on a distinguished road

I just started tying this year and in my search for cheap materials I found in a local classified ad the remaining stock of an online dealers stock. I now have 100 lifetimes worth of some items. I cant post any here in the classifieds as I have only been reading and learning from you guys. If anyone wants some send me a pm and I will tell you what I have. It's mostly dubbing, hundreds of packs, fur again hundreds, chenille, tinsel, leaders. Yeah hundreds of each. And lots of inexpensive but good quality fly lines. I will never ever use all this stuff.

Wayne
Old 01-05-2014, 08:56 AM

ontheflymn is a jewel in the roughontheflymn is a jewel in the roughontheflymn is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I don't remember what they call this stuff, but if you go to someplace that sells fabric, you can get a life time supply of sparkle fibers for a couple of bucks. Just unravel what you need -
I've always heard it referred to as Twinkle Organza.

Took a stroll through the local Hobby Lobby a week back and picked up glass beads, yarns, and a few other items cheap, versus going online. I second the idea of going to craft stores for cheap tying materials.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:22 AM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough

pet fur is a wonderful thing
Old 01-05-2014, 11:29 AM

v366931 is on a distinguished road

Janns Netcraft isn't too terrible.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:20 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

IMO, "cheap" is relative to what you're tying & how much you're willing to spend. A $50 dry fly cape may be cheap to some when similar capes are selling for $75 to $100. If you're going to tie dry flies that require hackle, then you're going to spend the money particularly if your primary interest is in flies size 18 & smaller. I don't tie many dry flies now, and still have some hackle from my commercial tying days. But, if I was looking for dry fly quality hackle, I would look around & be prepared to buy what I could at whatever price I would be willing to spend, when I could. That means if you find a bargain, buy it!

For anything else, shopping around is the best approach. I buy genetic saddles when I can find them at a good price to tie Woolly Buggers. I'm not concerned about them being dry fly quality, but if they are, and the price is good, I'll buy them. Otherwise, most hackle I buy & use is strung saddle, or strung neck hackle. Much of my tying is for bass & saltwater, so the hackle can fit a wide range.

I agree with shopping the craft, hobby & fabric type stores for some items. There's plenty of useful & inexpensive items in all of them. I don't usually buy feathers at such places as I've found the dye in many fades far to quickly. However, I'll still look to see what they have available. I once found several whole rabbit hides in a craft store, and bought all they had. I think I paid $2 each for them. Even though I had to cut the strips myself, compare that to $12 or more for whole hides in a fly shop.

I buy from many sources including several Ebay sellers. When I find a good source I'll stick with it, but still browse around.

Here's some places I've dealt with & would recommend. Some have already been mentioned.
JStockard - a fly shop (JS Fly Fishing: Fly Tying, Rod Building and More)
Barlows Tackle
Jann's Netcraft
Lure Parts Online
Fly Tyers Dungeon
Hardy Deluxe -Skagit Angler - An ebay seller
Fly Tying Outlet - another Ebay seller
Paulette Fur Co. - lots of fur products
Feather-Craft, a fly shop
Mud Hole - rod building supplies & other products including fly tying
Terminal Tackle Co. - hooks
Allen's Fly Fishing - hooks & beads
Whitetail Fly Tying Supplies - Chris Helm - awesome deer products
Bears Den Fly Fishing - full service fly shop
ChuckandDeb.com - little known, but good
The Fly Shop, Fly Fishing Shop, equipment, tackle, fly rods, fly reels, Fly Tying
Mad River Dubbing Co. - Flash Intro Page
Saltwaterflies.com - particularly salt or other bigger fly materials
Castle Arms-www.castlearms.com - specialty materials,
Togens Fly Shop- Canada fly shop
The Canadian Llama Co. another Canadian supplier
Theriault Flies- Home raises much of their own

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

Last edited by bigjim5589; 01-07-2014 at 09:20 PM.