The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Flies (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/flies/)
-   -   Need Cheap Materials (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/flies/292770-need-cheap-materials.html)

whitedice 07-31-2012 04:21 PM

Need Cheap Materials

Does any one know of an online shop that sells cheap materials? cabelas is the only place that I can get stuff, and they're pretty expensive and still an hour away. Plus, at this store the selection is pretty slim. So any place online that is cheap would be highly appreciated :) Im mainly looking for some cheap hackle and maybe some marabou or chenille.
Thanks

woodrivertroutbum 07-31-2012 05:18 PM

Re: Need Cheap Materials

What do you consider cheap? Chenile and marabou should only be a couple bucks as well as hackle like you would use on buggers. Cheap dry fly hackle doesn't exist but you can get the 100 fly packs for $20.

theboz 07-31-2012 10:18 PM

As posted hackle ain't cheap. Try craft stores for marabou and chenille always cheaper than fly shops.if you know any bird hunters make friends.

lancer09 08-01-2012 01:21 AM

google online fly shops. There are a lot out there you will just have to shop around and compare prices.

Guest1 08-01-2012 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theboz (Post 474663)
As posted hackle ain't cheap.

Thanks to some un-named hair dresser, hackle got to be unreasonably expensive. I understand the aforementioned hair hacker is now in witness protection following a string of obscene yells and hand gestures. :rolleyes: As in all artificial financial bubbles, tech, housing....hackles, it will pop. There will be a pile of hairdressers setting on saddles they paid $400 for they will be lucky to get $20 out of. If you are one of the people who had enough to ride out the bubble will be the recipiants of a hackle buyers market. I would think it's not that far off. By the way, there are dealers who stabbed us in the back, like Whiting, who when it does become reasonable again I will likely boycott. I know a fly shop owner who said he will "Never buy from Whiting again". I predict it will not be that far in the future. Especially if every one of us point out to every women we see with hackle in their hair, that it came from the Butt of a chicken. Then point and laugh. Strategy. :D

argail 08-01-2012 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitedice (Post 474606)
Does any one know of an online shop that sells cheap materials? cabelas is the only place that I can get stuff, and they're pretty expensive and still an hour away. Plus, at this store the selection is pretty slim. So any place online that is cheap would be highly appreciated :) Im mainly looking for some cheap hackle and maybe some marabou or chenille.
Thanks

hey go look: Jig Tying and Fly Tying Material
good store, I buy some stuff...
for example: Ultra Chenille price in cabelas 1.69$ (16 colors) Barlow's 1,40$ (35 colors 3 size) good luck finding what you need ;)

klunker 08-01-2012 07:59 AM

Fly Tying Materials | Fly Tying Recipes | Fly Tying Supplies | Fly Tyers Dungeon | Fly Tying Supplies

thy here for EP mat'l, flashabou, crystal flash and plastic eyes.
You won't find better prices.

Rip Tide 08-01-2012 08:20 AM

http://thinkoutsidetheboxtoday.com/w...y-roadkill.jpg

argail 08-01-2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip Tide (Post 474726)

yes, dont be afraid take off squirrel tail, & few feathers from road-kill owl bust your collection material, Mallard Flank or Barred Wood Duck feathers can easy to find near the water where these (they love to fight or clean themselves) birds are found, where we are fishing... one time on a fishing trip, I gathered a good collection of Canada goose feathers (they were very much on the river) Pets (I have fly call FrankiFly make from fur my cat Franki) good resource material for fly tying...
stuffed animals (or carpet it some time sparkling) have synthetic "fur" good resource make dubbing... some time you find lost flip-flops, foam sole good material for popers & you do good, clean the water and find material for you)))
you might even think that you have around that you could be using to fly tying
is all free

Liphookedau 08-02-2012 09:05 AM

As mentioned there are heaps of places,the best time is around Christmas in the $2 Shops,as I mentioned before I bought Holo Tinsel on Spools for about $2-$3 for a small amount,then when The Decorations came out the year before Last Year I bought eough for $2 to last forever.
Like many others over the years I've collected Fur & Feathers off Road Killed Foxes,Kangaroos,Cats,Dogs,Rabbits,Possums,many Parrotts dozens of other Birds plus many other Materials I've acquired whilst Hunting.
Over the years I don't know how many Chooks & Roosters I've Skinned
I've found good suppliers for Hooks & Chenille at about 1/3 price of any other,in about 260 varieties.

Check with The Costume Hire people because they always have Marabou for Fancy Dress Outfits.
Brian.