The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 04:21 PM

whitedice is on a distinguished road
Default Need Cheap Materials

Does any one know of an online shop that sells cheap materials? cabelas is the only place that I can get stuff, and they're pretty expensive and still an hour away. Plus, at this store the selection is pretty slim. So any place online that is cheap would be highly appreciated Im mainly looking for some cheap hackle and maybe some marabou or chenille.
Thanks
Old 07-31-2012, 05:18 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Need Cheap Materials

What do you consider cheap? Chenile and marabou should only be a couple bucks as well as hackle like you would use on buggers. Cheap dry fly hackle doesn't exist but you can get the 100 fly packs for $20.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:18 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

As posted hackle ain't cheap. Try craft stores for marabou and chenille always cheaper than fly shops.if you know any bird hunters make friends.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-01-2012, 01:21 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

google online fly shops. There are a lot out there you will just have to shop around and compare prices.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:51 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
As posted hackle ain't cheap.
Thanks to some un-named hair dresser, hackle got to be unreasonably expensive. I understand the aforementioned hair hacker is now in witness protection following a string of obscene yells and hand gestures. As in all artificial financial bubbles, tech, housing....hackles, it will pop. There will be a pile of hairdressers setting on saddles they paid $400 for they will be lucky to get $20 out of. If you are one of the people who had enough to ride out the bubble will be the recipiants of a hackle buyers market. I would think it's not that far off. By the way, there are dealers who stabbed us in the back, like Whiting, who when it does become reasonable again I will likely boycott. I know a fly shop owner who said he will "Never buy from Whiting again". I predict it will not be that far in the future. Especially if every one of us point out to every women we see with hackle in their hair, that it came from the Butt of a chicken. Then point and laugh. Strategy.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:21 AM

argail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedice View Post
Does any one know of an online shop that sells cheap materials? cabelas is the only place that I can get stuff, and they're pretty expensive and still an hour away. Plus, at this store the selection is pretty slim. So any place online that is cheap would be highly appreciated Im mainly looking for some cheap hackle and maybe some marabou or chenille.
Thanks
hey go look: Jig Tying and Fly Tying Material
good store, I buy some stuff...
for example: Ultra Chenille price in cabelas 1.69$ (16 colors) Barlow's 1,40$ (35 colors 3 size) good luck finding what you need
Old 08-01-2012, 07:59 AM

klunker will become famous soon enough

Fly Tying Materials | Fly Tying Recipes | Fly Tying Supplies | Fly Tyers Dungeon | Fly Tying Supplies

thy here for EP mat'l, flashabou, crystal flash and plastic eyes.
You won't find better prices.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:20 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:27 PM

argail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Click the image to open in full size.
yes, dont be afraid take off squirrel tail, & few feathers from road-kill owl bust your collection material, Mallard Flank or Barred Wood Duck feathers can easy to find near the water where these (they love to fight or clean themselves) birds are found, where we are fishing... one time on a fishing trip, I gathered a good collection of Canada goose feathers (they were very much on the river) Pets (I have fly call FrankiFly make from fur my cat Franki) good resource material for fly tying...
stuffed animals (or carpet it some time sparkling) have synthetic "fur" good resource make dubbing... some time you find lost flip-flops, foam sole good material for popers & you do good, clean the water and find material for you)))
you might even think that you have around that you could be using to fly tying
is all free
Old 08-02-2012, 09:05 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

As mentioned there are heaps of places,the best time is around Christmas in the $2 Shops,as I mentioned before I bought Holo Tinsel on Spools for about $2-$3 for a small amount,then when The Decorations came out the year before Last Year I bought eough for $2 to last forever.
Like many others over the years I've collected Fur & Feathers off Road Killed Foxes,Kangaroos,Cats,Dogs,Rabbits,Possums,many Parrotts dozens of other Birds plus many other Materials I've acquired whilst Hunting.
Over the years I don't know how many Chooks & Roosters I've Skinned
I've found good suppliers for Hooks & Chenille at about 1/3 price of any other,in about 260 varieties.

Check with The Costume Hire people because they always have Marabou for Fancy Dress Outfits.
Brian.