The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Flies (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/flies/)
-   -   Orvis flies....50 cents (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/flies/29592-orvis-flies-50-cents.html)

tippet 07-20-2010 05:41 PM

Orvis flies....50 cents

check out the great deal on Orvis flies; go to the fly fishing section, then under Whats new then under super fly deals.

oregonsteel 07-25-2010 03:57 PM

Re: Orvis flies....50 cents

Quote:

Originally Posted by tippet (Post 113104)
check out the great deal on Orvis flies; go to the fly fishing section, then under Whats new then under super fly deals.

Not sure whether to think Orvis has great prices or ORvis has great profit and are fleecing the willing. I *COULD* believe that they somehow did something to get great pricing, and are passing it on to customers, OR

that they were always paying under $.50 a fly (selling them for 4 times that much) and now they are discontinuing those flies so selling them at clearance price, just a small profit instead of a whooping profit.

peregrines 07-25-2010 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oregonsteel (Post 115052)
Not sure whether to think Orvis has great prices or ORvis has great profit and are fleecing the willing. I *COULD* believe that they somehow did something to get great pricing, and are passing it on to customers, OR

that they were always paying under $.50 a fly (selling them for 4 times that much) and now they are discontinuing those flies so selling them at clearance price, just a small profit instead of a whooping profit.

I doubt Orvis is making much if anything on a fly they sell for 50 cents. I realize it's popular in some circles to bash Orvis, but frankly I've found their gear to be pretty decent--- and their flies to be well tied. Certainly better quality than other 50 cent flies that unravel with just a hard stare.

Oregon, I think Tippet's post could be very helpful to forum members that don't tie, or are just starting out and are looking for decent flies at a good price.

oregonsteel 07-26-2010 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peregrines (Post 115299)
I doubt Orvis is making much if anything on a fly they sell for 50 cents. I realize it's popular in some circles to bash Orvis, but frankly I've found their gear to be pretty decent--- and their flies to be well tied. Certainly better quality than other 50 cent flies that unravel with just a hard stare.

Oregon, I think Tippet's post could be very helpful to forum members that don't tie, or are just starting out and are looking for decent flies at a good price.

Hi, do you know how much fly tiers from Africa sell their flies for? $2.50 a dozen. I do not disagree that Tippet's post could be very helpful.
Also flydealflies.com at 43 cents a dry fly to just over 50 cents for a beadhead is another good source. flydealflies is not making a exhorbiant profit but they are making close to %100 markup.

tippet 07-26-2010 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oregonsteel (Post 115052)

steel,
......either way between work and the kids I have zero time to tie flies so at 50 cents I'm buying a few. Thought others might like to know and pick up some flies at a decent price wasn't trying to start another orvis debate :rolleyes:
Thanks for the other link, I'll check them out. Have you bought from them? good flies?

Dixiejack 07-31-2010 02:03 PM

Orvis also has Silver Label Hy Float fly line for $11.40 ea. Sizes left are 1,2,3,4,7,8,9. Never used that line, but it's cheap enough to play around with. I have 5 or 6 Silver Label rods and of the two that I use (1 and 5 wt.) their action is like my Superfine I bought used from a friend.

lancer09 07-31-2010 11:42 PM

Thanks for posting this! I went and picked up a dozen as patterns to try and copy, and some that i just know i can't tie.