The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Guest1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 05:54 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default Pike/Muskie Flies

Hello all,

I'm in need of a bit of information. Everywhere I look for Pike/Muskie flies, they're $5-6, even 10+ a fly... There's got to be some place cheaper to purchase. Does anyone know online where I could purchase some? If someone were to tie some, I would buy them...

Let me know!

Thanks!

Old 10-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pike/Muskie Flies

I never tried to buy muskie flies so I can't help, but all the muskie flies I have ever seen online use what looks like a half chicken in feathers, so I can see why they would be spendy.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:41 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not an expert and don't fish for pike regularly except for a few days in the spring, but the flies that I tie for them are wicked easy.
Mostly my own seaducer modifications that seems to work just fine.
Something like this but with a bit more lift in the ass end to give it more action

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:13 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

I just checked your site out. Lets talk.

Er wait. You were referencing this. Sorry... It's been a long day.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:04 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

This is one type of fly where tying your own will save you money in the long run. You don't need a good vice, these are big hooks. One of the $10 specials will work fine. A box or two of bigger hooks, some rabbit, flashabou and a pack of marabou. This will get you everything needed for a Reynold's Pike fly. I add a heart bead from the craft store and a couple eyes. If you decide to do some surface stuff later you already have most of what you need. There are good videos on spinning and stacking deer hair. Don't confuse stacking for colors in flies like Dahlbergs with stacking to line up the ends. This is the basic Reynold's Pike fly the way I tie them. Not a lot of parts to them. All big so there is not a lot of skill needed in making them. They work great and are way cheaper to make than buy.
Click the image to open in full size.
swirlchaser likes this.