The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 07:29 PM

nicknick222 has a spectacular aura aboutnicknick222 has a spectacular aura about
Default Fly Box Pics

How are everyones boxes looking as the tying season comes around? Anything that you are looking to add or improve on?

Im a little depleted right now as I havent been home to tie but here are my boxes. Looking to restock my midges and add a few caddis emergers to match the naturals ive been seeing.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:43 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly Box Pics

Here's my fall Truckee River fly box.

Dennis
Old 10-16-2012, 11:12 PM

nicknick222 has a spectacular aura aboutnicknick222 has a spectacular aura about

I love those crayfish patterns! They look awesome.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:58 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknick222 View Post
I love those crayfish patterns! They look awesome.
Most of those crayfish patterns are Haddon's Dead Drift Crayfish.

The pattern was designed for the Truckee River. During the late summer into fall, Truckee River trout go crazy for crayfish.

Dennis
Old 10-18-2012, 03:31 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing's NYC Program recently enjoyed its 2nd Annual "Montauk Outing". Four excellent Captains donated their guiding and instructing expertise to our group of nine veterans and volunteer mates; Ken Courtlangus, plus PHW Volunteers Robin Calitri, Richard Reagan and David Blinken. David and Richard are both credited with having developed two of the most popular and effective flies for enticing the elusive and selective, migrating False Albacore to eat. David Blinken's splayed hackle "Jelly Fish" pulses like an injured anchovy on each strip and Richard Reagan's "Albie *****", also resplendent with lively fibers, features a Mylar lateral line and eyes. Armed with these two flies, tied by their creators, we could do no wrong as long as we could accurately present these offerings at the moment the incandescently beautiful albies strafed a purple pod of bait in their rapid fire up and down feeding frenzy.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:57 PM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

It's always tying season over here and there's always something to eat what I'm tying so my main box stays pretty full all year. I do need to restock on FT Whistlers and a few olive/white clousers since the fall Striper season is taking it's toll on them.
The boxes that hold my weapons of bass destruction....
I just put the S&W together so it's slowly getting filled up.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:27 PM

flytyingcompany is on a distinguished road

I have to say, I absolutely love having a look through other peoples fly boxes, you get so many 'new' ideas on how you can evolve some of your own favorites.

@nicknick222, what are the foam flies in the last picture with the orange and yellow posts?
Old 10-19-2012, 07:53 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Wishin great box. Exuse my ignorance but what are the inserts for the flys inside the SW box? Never seen them before.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-19-2012, 09:04 PM

@flytyingcompany, those are just some big old tan chernobyl ants. If its hopper season i usually throw my nymphs off the back of one of those instead of an indicator.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:17 PM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

They are umpqua replacement foam inserts I believe. I picked them up when I did the springfield box a while ago, opened them up and tossed the wrapper, but as far as my memory serves me they should be the umpqua large foam replacements. I had to cut them up a bit to make them fit and to get them to clear the two partitions the box has moulded into it but they work just as good as a cliff box at about 1/4 the price since I hade the cases sitting around. The springfield box came out alot cleaner because it's bigger, flatter, and had no partitions moulded into it. I have an H&K box that might get done up next.