The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 08:30 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Well, I've been practicing my fly tying

I've fly fished off and on about all my life. But ,,Id always just 'bought' my flies,,and figured I 'didn't wanna' get into fly tying. I think that is changing now !

Started out with woolybuggers,,other streamers,,,some nymphs and scuds...but tonite,,I'm all but zoomin' !!,,,Tied up a couple or three Adams dries..,even one parachute Adams,,and they came out OK !! ,,,,,,,considering I had to work around not having any grizzly hackle. They look 'about' as good as the ones I buy..and I've always used bought flies,,never really tied anything of my own until now.

I can see this fly tying becoming an obsession !,,,at least its fun right now !

Michael aka fly guy
Old 10-28-2012, 08:59 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well, I've been practicing my fly tying

That's great. I'm sure you will enjoy it. By the way, that was post 100 even for you! The great thing about tying your own is you can mess around with what you fish and end up with flies that work better than what you can buy. In fact, you can end up with flies you can't buy.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:02 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Dan,,what I'm seeing,,is you can make you own fuller,,more 'bug'ie' than what you buy most of the time.

And yes,,I've already tied a few FrankenFlies.........but that is an advantage too..you can (I hope I can as time goes along) really imitate more closely the offerings in your own area.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:36 AM

bent crosshairs is on a distinguished road

I have always wanted to tie my own but havn't had the time or space. Well now I have a little time and lots of space. So I am all in. The biggest reasons I want to tie my own are lack of quality at box stores (all of our local shops have closed up), and I want my own patterns that work better.

I am already obsessed with YouTube vidoes and websites of valuable and meaningless fishing adventures, stories and tall tales!

Good Fishing Friends!

http://slappingills.blogspot.com/
Old 10-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Michael: Congrats on taking the leap into fly tying........this is the time of year to really get into tying.

Larry

Old 10-29-2012, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

congrats Michael...now you have to catch fish with your own flies...you'll see how pleasant it is
Old 10-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
And yes,,I've already tied a few FrankenFlies.
That's funny you use that term. I was just saying to a friend I was working on a Frankenfly when they called yesterday. My Frankenflies however, are made from the parts of dead flies. Pike, blown anchors,and general abuse leave me with a lot of dead flies. I salvage parts on occasion.

(The referred to Frankenfly was all salvaged parts. )
Old 10-29-2012, 04:52 PM

Dan, not fishing related, but I love your signature line ! That's one of my all time fav movies !

This storm has really put a dent in my fall trout fishing,,,be an entire week lost. But hey, long as everyone survives it with minimal damage and no personal harm ....that's the main thing. I just wasn't read for January in October !
Old 10-29-2012, 07:03 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Tying your own is great, no one else has your fly
If you have not already seen Davie, this guy is a true inspiration.
http://m.youtube.com/#/user/DavieMcP...eMcPhail&gl=GB
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:48 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie O'Neill View Post
Tying your own is great, no one else has your fly
If you have not already seen Davie, this guy is a true inspiration.
YouTube
I like Davie's movies a lot. Picked up one of his flies on ebay auction. Really nice stuff. Inspiring enough to give it a go myself. That and collect a few more.

Good luck with your tying!