The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 09:02 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default To stop bugs from eating your bugs ?

What do you folks suggest as the best storage method to keep bugs and other vermin from getting at your flies ? I'd pondered insect spray then pulled up on that idea,,because the scent might be offensive to trout and other fish. Store them tightly in zip lock bags , maybe ?

THanks for your advice in advance

Michael
Old 11-04-2012, 09:08 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To stop bugs from eating your bugs ?

Mothballs are used by many to keep bugs away from feathers.

Dave
Old 11-04-2012, 09:22 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I had a bad infestation last year.
Everything went into the freezer for a while and now the "fish room" door remains closed at all time so that I don't have to hear any complaints about the strong mothball smell.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:31 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

The best deterrent is to keep your materials & flies clean. The "dirt", which is protein, that gets on the materials is what initially attracts them, and they will subsequently chew up the materials. I use moth crystals for some materials storage, and last time I had asked my wife to pick up some, she brought home a box that had small packets of moth crystals, similar to the silica dessicant packs used to pack electronics, cameras or other items that may be prone to moisture problems. The crystals don't smell good, but I've not had a problem with it, as I transfer flies from bigger storage boxes to smaller fly boxes for use & the smell dissipates quickly since the packets don't allow the chemical to come in direct contact with the flies.

I'll also use the silica packs in boxes of flies as it helps keep the moisture away from hooks, but I also believe it aids in deterring insects, as they need moisture to survive. Deprive them of any moisture & they tend to stay away.

I've also used ziplock storage bags & although prefer a good sealed tackle/fly box, the bags work well too as a quick & temporary option, particularly the heavier & thicker ml bags intended for frozen foods. In the past, I've had insects chew thru plastic ziplock bags that had become soiled & destroy some materials, so IMO, that's not something I want to rely on completely.

BTW, the chemical in the crystals is not the same as in the moth balls. The moths balls are a deterrent, but the crystals will kill most vermin & their eggs. However, I also store many materials in a freezer, which is the best long term storage option I've found. If you place flies in a freezer, add the silica dessicant packs to help keep the hooks from rusting.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 11-06-2012, 10:07 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Natural materials that have not been tanned or dyed can contain both the live insects and insect eggs.

The best non chemical way to kill both is by freezing.

Put the materials in a zip lock bags and then into the freezer for about a week. This will kill the living insects.

Remove, and wait for 2 weeks. This allows the eggs to hatch. Then refreeze for another week. This kills the insects that have hatched.

If you are paranoid, another 2 week wait and another freezer cycle will do it.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 12-18-2012, 09:38 PM

rogue runner is on a distinguished road

Ive never had to deal with that issue, but I have a book that recomends storing your material in ziplock bags with bay leaves as a deterent.

Casey
Old 12-31-2012, 11:18 AM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

chances are you might be putting stuff away wet or with some slime from fish on them(attracts bugs)...I had some problems w/ some of the tying stuff from India a while back too...and I also use a lot of stuff from my own hunting harvests...duck wings(whole) were a contact point for me a while back

some bug spray wont do a bit of harm...ginks and dry fly powder arent actually great smelling either...gallery bugs or similar can be easily killed w/ some raid or yard guard...you just dont want to contaminate you tying materials w/ some new critter...I always wash down new ties anyway...usually to see what they look like wet...but this could also clean up any residue from bug spray...if the smell deal worries you just air it out real good after letting it sit in a big trash bag for a while...just make sure its super dry before it goes back to storage...

this is something everyone deals with sooner or later...especially if you store a lot of materials...I store all my materials once I know they are good in a big plastic moving tub...also all stuff is kept seperate in its own zip lock..

... keep it secure from new air etc......good luck...

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/
Old 12-31-2012, 02:23 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Years ago I had an infestation of carpet beetles. I put everything in the freezer for six weeks, possibly an over reaction but I think not. I sorted through the stuff and saved what I could. After that I bought Tupperware style boxes and zip lock bags. Bought proper mothballs as well and got a bunch of empty film containers, not so easy to get these days but if you go to the dollar store you can get small bead storage containers with snap-on lids. I drilled holes in all of my film containers and put 2 mothballs in each and put between 1 and 3 in each plastic box depending on the size.
I have never had a problem with bugs since. All of my natural materials spend several weeks in the freezer no matter where I get it.
Carpet beetles are not attracted to "filth" or "dirt" they eat glue, starch anything with carbs. They are a small beetle about 3/8 of an inch long, black with rust coloured spots or splotches, the larvae are furry kind of maggoty looking critters with legs as well.
Good luck, keep things sealed and protected.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:31 PM

zug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura about

I too lost several necks to carpet beetle larvae, the freezer did the trick. I haven't had a problem since
Old 04-01-2013, 08:40 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Ziplock freezer bags
20 mule team borax
Tight sealing plastic tub/boxes.

Borax is water soluble, a dying agent that really dehydrates just about everything, toxic to many incests, really inexpensive and doesn't really have a smell. Down side is it is dusty/messy.