The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 01:43 AM

fish_4_all is on a distinguished road
Default Aero Bugs

I tried something new, nothing really new there but I have hit a snag. I had lost my link to here but glad I found my way back after a couple months of searching. Gotta love it when the kids decide to clean out the history and everything else.

Click the image to open in full size.

The hackle and chenille are coming out perfect for the tail section but I am forced to add too much chenille to cover the tie in for the twisted body.

If anyone has ever tried it, they know the technique. Take a piece of chenille, double it over, add 1-3 hackle and twist together. Double it over to twist onto itself and voila, a bushy tail that can be tied in anywhere.

The problem I am having is that the chenille hackle twist is so bulky and the whole thing likes to turn on the hook shank. I have to wrap it really well to get it to stay put and even then it likes to try and turn. This is leaving a lot of area to cover with chenille. For some ties I think it is fine but I need to figure out how to tie it in and keep it from turning and only have to add 1-2 wraps of chenille to finish it off. Being able to add a little red/orange/pink/ or other color to make a head like a leech/caterpillar could be a very effective steelhead pattern let alone bass, trout and many other species.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-09-2012, 04:30 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: Aero Bugs

Never tied these before. They look good.

Is there any way you could put some super glue down on the hook shank or on the early preliminary wraps of chenile. This way the chenile would be anchored/glued to the hook shank and prevent it from spinning around. Then your finishing wraps or the last few wraps could bury the glued early wraps. Kinda wordie sorry. Not sure if this would even work with this pattern. I use gorilla glue for head cement and the stuff dries pretty solid. Sometimes I'll pin wings and tails apart with a drop here and there. Would a smaller diameter chenile be better?
good luck

Last edited by noreaster; 11-09-2012 at 04:47 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:06 AM

The only wraps of chenille are at the head. The rest is twisted before tying it onto the hook shank. I guess I could put in a good thread base and then superglue the twist to the shank and wrap with a good thread cover. Is worth a try since just thread and my other lock it down techniques don't seem to work.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:23 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Fish:

Ever notice the pro tyers wrap the entire hook shank at the beginning of a Tie?

That prevents the slide.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:03 PM

Lots and lots of thread on the hook shank before tying anything in. I even tried super glue on the thread to hold it before tying it in. It still twists. Maybe a heavier thread pulled a lot harder might do it, is only thing I haven't tried because I don't have any 280 denier thread.

The problem is the massive bulk of the chenille and the hackles. 4 strands of chenille and 1-3 hackles all tied in at the same time.