The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 07:09 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Dog dubbing ?

Fly Guy, As Poms have real fur not hair, their undercoat should dub fine. My reluctance to use it though would be based on scent. Experiments with steelhead and salmon on fish ladders in the Columbia River evidenced that something crazy like 1 part per billion bear scent introduced at the fish trap on top had the fish turn around and flee! Dogs are not fish predators but are predators and it just makes me reluctant. Stick with rabbit.
silvertip8k likes this.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:40 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I have a pom that has the most gorgeous black dubbing..but alas, I fear to use it for the same reason as S and S.
What's the saying 'a dog can smell 100 times better than a human and a fish can smell 100 times better than a dog.' (something like that)

I guess being an ol' trapper makes me paranoid but I even wash my hands in scent free soap and rinse many times before I tie flies. Always get my gas the day 'before' a trip so I can remove any scent..etc,etc,,I'm pretty obsessive about scent on things when I'm in the wild.

Mike
Old 05-24-2013, 11:40 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Dog dubbing ?

The undercoat of a Yellow Lab makes great dubbing material. Soft as a 'Babies Bottom.' I usually mix in some 'sparkle' material with same.

fae
silvertip8k likes this.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:11 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
The undercoat of a Yellow Lab makes great dubbing material. Soft as a 'Babies Bottom.' I usually mix in some 'sparkle' material with same.

fae
My 85 pound black lab provides plenty of undercoat to use this time of year. She loves a good brushing!!

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 05-24-2013, 02:23 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Fred, Yonder..do you guys have good success with the dog dubbing flies ? I'm curious. Maybe I been afraid for nothing.

Mike
Old 05-24-2013, 03:15 PM

flyguy97 is on a distinguished road

My German short hair pointer provides plenty of fine grayish dubbing. Only his head is brown so I don't get much of that. On flies fish seem to love it.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:25 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
Fred, Yonder..do you guys have good success with the dog dubbing flies ? I'm curious. Maybe I been afraid for nothing.

Mike
The fish here in my neck of the woods are so opportunistic....that they seem to strike on instinct, survival, etc.......trust me.....if they will strike my ugly fly patterns....then they will strike anything......ymmv.........some of my favorite bluelines are definitely not anywhere near the technical streams of Montana or Colorado......I just find it amusing to tie flies from anything available....including my wife's blond locks of hair!!

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 05-24-2013, 08:39 PM

Yonder, I really am new to fly tying,,mostly. But what I tie catch fish...seems to really well. Now they wont impress you guys, but they do the job in the stream. So, who knows. I'm getting better. The advice to use as little material as possible as you can always add more,,made my flies stop looking like hair balls lol
But ya know,,I LOVE tying flies,,just a great thing to do instead of watching that damnable tv.

I can crank ol' Waylon up and I'll tie some stuff,,,what you call it I wouldn't be sure,,but it's STUFF !!
Old 05-24-2013, 09:14 PM

Ugly hairball flies catch fish......I can prove it.....you should see some of my awful creations......still, I enjoy the hobby. It is definitely better than the TV...