The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 08:54 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stocked trout flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
They wanted the sound of all the pellets hitting I guess.
That's exactly right
I worked at large trout hatchery and I tell people this all the time.
It's not the pellets themselves, it's the sound of them hitting the water that the hatchery fish respond to.
Using a pellet fly isn't going to help you catch a stocked trout.

When I ran the state "pay-to-fish" ponds I'd sometimes "chum" for young new fly fisher-kids.
I'd throw out a handful of trout chow and have them cast into the center of it.
It didn't matter what fly they used. Only that they cast into where the fish had focused their attention.

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

Here's one of the ponds with the hatchery in the background

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:19 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for reinforcing what I've been saying for years Rip! When they stocked the developments up here for opening day would take my kids at the end of the day when everyone and the mob scene died out. Grab a hand ful of beach sand thrown it out and the kids would have fish while guys standing there all day had none! Always worked!
My oldest girl would comment "Dad you better help them get fish they don't look to happy!"
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 11-18-2012, 01:24 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

An interesting thing about this pond is that the fish had been there long enough to get picky. They'd be in a feeding frenzy when the Old Roy hit the water but still take a second to inspect the pellet or my fly. It was a great place to get some folks their first trout and teach them casting and hook set, but catching was not guaranteed.