The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 09:43 PM

pescador7 will become famous soon enough
Default Stocked trout flies

Trout season is starting in southern cali for trout and need help in picking flies for stocked trout. I will be fishing in a private lake that is rather big but know were the fish hang out. I picked some woolly buggers in size 6 in colors black, green, and yellow with red to try out. Are there any more that you guys would recommend to add to my arsenal.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:45 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stocked trout flies

At 'stockerfest' back in the Detroit area the fish went crazy for white wooly buggers. Could take some on dries, nymph and other streamers, but just couldn't resist a white wooly bugger. Don't know if it would work there.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:56 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light

hey where in So Cal (i live in Long Beach) are there lakes to fish?
thanks
Old 11-17-2012, 10:27 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

What a coinkidink! This subject came up today with a member of the forum I was talking to on the phone. A thread from the deep dark past on here has mentioned a place they had just stocked and the guy threw everything in the fly box at them and got nothing. I asked him how far away the hatchery was and it was not real far away. I suggested taking a ride over there and asking what the fish food looked like. I told him he should then tie up some Purina Trout Chow flies. Match the hatch(ery). I also got some comments that it was kind of cheating, but I fail to see how it is. :confused
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanl View Post
hey where in So Cal (i live in Long Beach) are there lakes to fish?
thanks
Castaic has Trout and monster Largemouth that think they are lunch. You have some really extraordinary lakes for Largemouth. When I lived in So. Cal. I went to Castaic once and the very first fish I got was a Largemouth in the 8 pound zone. There have been some serious monsters caught there. Call the DNR. They can point you in the right direction.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:24 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I've tied up some dog food flies, it was Old Roy because that's the brand my wife's uncle uses to feed the fish in the stocked pond behind his condo. I noticed though that it was hard to get them to take it if I just threw the fly out there. But if he threw in a handful of Old Roy and I tossed a foam or deer hair pellet fly they'd take it. They wanted the sound of all the pellets hitting I guess.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:20 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
They wanted the sound of all the pellets hitting I guess.
That makes sense. Part of matching the hatch so to speak. What kind of fish were they?
Old 11-18-2012, 02:33 AM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

It's that time of year around here too... Woolly's work we'll, actually found that dead-drifted works better on stockers often. Rainbow warriors, zebras also seems to work well, not sure why... I scratch my head on stockers all of the time, but, hey, it's what I've got this time of year
Old 11-18-2012, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be interested to see if stocked trout like the flying moththink they shouldJP's flies step by step...for beginners.
let me know ....
Old 11-18-2012, 05:41 AM

troutbanger20 is on a distinguished road

Try some junk food...eggs, blue assassins, San Juan's, y2k's. until the fish get smart they will eat that stuff up.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
That makes sense. Part of matching the hatch so to speak. What kind of fish were they?
Mostly rainbows with some browns and brookies mixed in. Some beautiful fish in there, some of which had been in the pond for years.