The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By caseywise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 02:21 PM

jajafofo is on a distinguished road
Default Flies in the South

I promise I'll stop with these beginner questions soon!!

So I've got my rod and reel ordered. Next up is flies. Most of what I'll be fishing for are bass, bream, crappie, and trout. What's a good resource for flies? What should I pick up for a good beginning assortment?

I plan on making my own fly box out of an altoids tin I've had lying around.

Again, sorry for all the noob questions!!
Old 12-07-2012, 02:31 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flies in the South

Where are you located? That will help folks give more specific advice. As for resources, check for fishing reports for the waters you fish. These can come from local fly shops or from google searches.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:48 PM

jajafofo is on a distinguished road

I'll be fishing in North Alabama, North Georgia, and South Tennessee.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:02 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

here's a few good threads for you to read through

Bass/Crappie Flies?

Go-to smallmouth flies

gills

casey
Guest1 likes this.

ARFE
Old 12-08-2012, 08:06 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajafofo View Post
I promise I'll stop with these beginner questions soon!!

So I've got my rod and reel ordered. Next up is flies. Most of what I'll be fishing for are bass, bream, crappie, and trout. What's a good resource for flies? What should I pick up for a good beginning assortment?

I plan on making my own fly box out of an altoids tin I've had lying around.

Again, sorry for all the noob questions!!
Ask as many questions as you feel are necessary......that is what we are here for........I live in western N.C. and time and time again, I use some type of wulff pattern dry fly, whether it be an adams wulff, royal wulff, tennessee wulff, etc., along with an elk hair caddis, gold ribbed hairs ear and pheasant tail nymphs,.....also check out the rainbow prince nymph....the local trout are killing this one!! If you ever choose to tie your own .........then this is where the fun really starts......I am constantly amazed at how trout will strike my ugly creations!!! Time and experience will tell you what works for you and the fish that you are targeting. Good luck!!

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton