The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 08:03 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default First try at a crayfish

I can still tweek the 'claws' and contour the tail 'joint area' some to make it more movable on the strip retrieve. I kinda needed to see it in a photo myself,,,shows me more really than just holding it in my own hand.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First try at a crayfish

Looks like a pretty good first try. A couple of suggestions though. The eyes may make this ride upside down for what you have it tied. Actually with a crawfish riding point up works better because you can imitate a real one better. I tie mine to ride point up. I let it fall to the bottom, watch it closely as it does because they hit it on the way down sometimes. Then twitch it a few times and let it drop again, repeat.

Also you may want to lighten up on the claws a bit and if you do a couple wraps around the bases, you can get a pretty good spread and shape. I use Squirrel tail because it works good and they keep committing suicide in the roads I drive.

Also on the carapace, if you get a good shape you should make a pattern so you don't need to guess each time you make one. I use thin skin and it comes on a paper back so when you get a real good one keep the paper. Instant pattern.

Pretty good looking fly though. I'm sure it would catch fish.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:08 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I feel kinda embarrassed that I didnt consider that the eyes could roll this guy over. I did try it in a bowl of tap water,,and it 'seems' to be about equal,,on how it lands...but I sure will keep that in mind on the next go around. I used fox squirrel tail hair 'claws' on this,,but i did it pretty thick,,and while I 'can' lighten up the claws out front,,I can't the base of the hair. So,,I see what you are saying about going lighter on the thickness,,it would indeed make it easier to cinch in. That was a major 'head scratcher' for me when I tied it,,and to make it work,,,the face of the 'craw daddy' came out a big long as I had a lot of bulk in front of the eyes. So,thanks,,I'll sure head your route next time.

I wanted to do a couple bigger ones,,this is a size 4,,,I can throw them at bass on the river,,and even if they arent perfect,,a big hungry bass has no discrimination about food ! Then,,when I get a method down good,,,I'll do me some that are small,,,trout size..for the streams here were I have both smallies and trout. Excellent idea about keeping a pattern ! You bet I'll do that.

I appreciate your thoughts on this Dan.

Mike
Old 12-11-2012, 10:57 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I do a crayfish that is very much like yours. Take a look at mine and maybe it will help you tweek your pattern.
Dan's Crayfish
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:45 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I say this all the time, but I'm not sure that I've swayed too many opinions...

Big claws may look cool to us, but from the fishes point of view, they'd rather deal with small
Big pinchers hurt.... experienced fish know that.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:03 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

puppy hunts!
Old 12-12-2012, 12:12 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

I tie one similar to that one yours looks good.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:19 PM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

Wow, for a first trial it looks already extremely good - CONGRATULATIONS
jaybo41 likes this.

THORSTEN
Old 12-12-2012, 03:47 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

For a first attempt, I think you did an exceptional job! Very well done. If it makes you feel any better, I did exactly what you did the first time I tried one. I put the eyes and carapace on the same side, which as Dan says puts that on the bottom. That's an easy change to make, and now you know what you need to do to correct it.

I'm also of the opinion that you could thin out the claws a bit. I constantly am reminding myself-- "less is more" when it comes to materials. Also, now that I have more time logged at the bench, I'm much more deliberate with my steps. This is especially true with new to me patterns. Dan gave a great suggestion to make a few wraps at the base of the claws, that will help them keep their form when moving through the current. Maybe add a few strands of flash in the claws too, on a few of them.

Great looking fly though, very nicely done
Old 12-12-2012, 05:03 PM

Thanks guys, appreciate the encouragement. Yea, I already have slimmed and even shortened the claws...it DOES look less intimidating,,esp if I were the size of a fish !
Dave, I very much appreciate the visual of the one you tie,,,very kewl indeed. Been gone about all day,,,and I'm tired to the bone,,so I might not tie anything tonite,,but soon as I do another crawdad I'll see what ya'll think of that one.

Mike