The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wt bash

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 11:16 AM

jhardin80 is on a distinguished road
Default Tandem Rigs

Say I'm fishing a dry and some sort of dropper. Right now, I tie the dry fly with a clinch knot and then tie the second fly on the hook bend of the first one.

My question is, has anyone ever made two loops to put both flies on with instead of having to actually tie the flies on? I don't know if that makes sense but if you know you are going to be fishing on top and have a wet drop down to a certain range but don't know for sure what flies they are feeding on why couldn't you tie two loops on where you want them, then this would make it very easy to change flies. Or am I missing something about this thought?
Old 12-24-2012, 11:22 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tandem Rigs

I use the same method you currently use, but don't see why the loop idea wouldn't work.

Larry

Old 12-24-2012, 11:25 AM

I was just wondering if anyone had tried it and had success with it or if it was just too much a pain in the rear end to do it that way. I might try that after xmas with my "NEW" fly rod and reel.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:43 AM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Pain in rearin
Old 12-24-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyspey View Post
Pain in rearin
Ahhhh! I figured someone would have tried it! Thanks for your reply. I don't change my rig too much on the water yet. Still learning the basics of it all and was just seeing if maybe that would be easier for me to do at the moment. Guess I'll just continue to use what I'm doing now.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:55 AM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

I pre-tie a couple of different combos.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:38 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I've tried a couple of different methods and always have come back to just how you're doing it now. Admittedly, I may not have found the best methods as an alternative, got frustrated so went back to what's always worked.

If you have an idea on how to rig your tandem, try it. What works for you might not work for me. YOU are the best validation of another way to make that tandem work for you
Old 12-24-2012, 12:44 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

PINA the loop is a bear to pass through the eye and it never seats itself correctly kicking the flies off in an un-natural way.
mcnerney likes this.