The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 04:05 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Official Visit To My Local Fly Shop. Advice needed.

Truly excellent answers above, all dead on. Can you 'buy' flies on line at half (or less) the price? Without question. Will they be well tied? With little exception.

But what you're trading for a twenty dollar bill is 'Information.' (For Jollies, watch the old TV series "The Prisioner.")

My only toss in is Google Earth'ing the area(s) you want to fish. Amazing what you'll find in the way of 'access' you'd never (or spend hours) looking for "Boots on the ground."

Here in Southern Oregon the current view is 2010 (or 11?) so you're looking at reel time (spelling pun intended). Print photo(s), and off you go. Gather you can do a lat/long cross hairs for your GPS, but haven't figured out how to do that yet (GPS input).
Old 12-27-2012, 04:24 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I think everyone covered it pretty well so I will say Welcome to the forum.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:27 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I think everyone covered it pretty well so I will say Welcome to the forum.
+1!

Fred

Old 12-27-2012, 04:34 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Lots of great advise given already. The only thing I would add is to learn their names and listen more than speak. If you show genuine interest most people will be more than happy to help you out.
Welcome to the forum.
Hardyreels and mikel like this.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:54 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

a tweed jacket and a pipe will help. Just messing with you obviously, welcome to the forum and good luck!

One more piece of real advise. If you have a productive day after stopping in for advise stop back and let them know. The fact that they put a new guy on some fish will probably be more rewarding than the $15-$20 spent in the shop.
mikel and dean_mt like this.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:51 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

When your visit is nearly done, ask if they have a mailing list or email list you can put your name on. If they have a mailing list it will show them how local you really are.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:14 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

What I found was consistency is the big thing, after being a decent human being with some patience.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum. Not much I can say that the guys didn't beat me to. Let us know how your trip goes.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:50 AM

renomick is on a distinguished road

Buy the Abel nippers, and they'll tell you all you want to know. And for heaven's sake, if you're wearing your tweeds and carrying your pipe, make sure you're packing your cane rod, a plastic rod would just be a major fishing fashion faux pa.
Seriously, guys in fishing sales, love to talk fishing, when we can't be fishing ourselves. No worries.