The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 09:56 AM

imaterp02 is on a distinguished road
Default First Official Visit To My Local Fly Shop. Advice needed.

So I'm a long-time lurker here and this is my first post. My wife recently gave me a gift card from a big, famous company so that I could outfit myself with everything I'd need to get on the river and out of the house once a month. It was a fun process and I'm ready to go. What I was wondering is this....I'm planning on stopping by the fly shop before my first outing and will definitely need some advice as far as river access and what's working that day. What is an appropriate amount to spend there that first day to send a message that I appreciate their advice and I'm not some dude from out of town who they'll never see again? I would have preferred buying everything at their shop but my wife wanted to surprise me.
Thanks!
Old 12-27-2012, 10:07 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: First Official Visit To My Local Fly Shop. Advice needed.

no limit. if you tie flies, pick up some materials. i usually for for $10-20 in a shop thats new to me - if you dont tie flies, as them to recommend some and buy their suggestions.

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-27-2012, 10:45 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Its not like tipping a waiter, just tell them whats up and ask for help. There's no set limit as to how much to spend for a first time visit. Get a recommendation for flies and access, chat them up a bit and when you're ready to go just a simple ok boys see you soon will do.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:57 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

my advice would be to go to the fly shop when you DON'T need advice or help and just browse. Say hi to the guys and ask the questions that come to mind as a newer guy to the sport. Buy something little when it catches your eye...floatant or nippers or a couple of buggers in a color you don't have...

Then...when you do need advice you can drop in, say hi and say you're on the way to the river...pick up a few flies they recommend and you're on your way.
Guest1, fredaevans and jaybo41 like this.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:01 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

One good approach is tell them you're headed out fishing and ask for advice on where to to and what flies to get. They'll talk to you about rivers and flies and walk around with you putting the flies you'll buy into a cup. If you want to limit yourself to $20 or so keep an eye on how many flies! While you're talking to them ask about access as well.

Also it can be good to stock up on items with a long shelf-life like indicators, weight, floatant, etc. While nylon tippet might have an expiration date, that stuff doesn't. When I get good coupons in the mail I'll go pick up some of that stuff since I know I'll use it and it won't degrade with sunlight, etc.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:02 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Yeah, no rules here. The very best thing you can do is be honest. Tell them you just got a rod and reel for x-mas (get's you off the hook for not buying from them!), you're new to fly fishing, you live down the road and are curious about access and what flies to use. Then buy some flies that they recommend.

Flyshop guys can smell a newby a mile away, so don't pretend that you aren't! They will see that you are potential new costumer since you are local. Don't expect the best advice ever on the first visit, you just have to keep going back and build a relationship.

And finally, welcome to the forum!
Pocono, Guest1, jpbfly and 2 others like this.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:12 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Be friendly and sincere and if it's not too rushed they're usually happy to help no matter what you buy

The best information that I ever got at a shop was when I bought a dollar map and asked "where should I go ?".
As it wasn't busy at the time, the fellow at the counter had no problem coloring in different spots.
At another general tackle shop, I don't remember buying anything. They didn't have what we were looking for.
Still we hung out and chatted for a while until the guy looks at the clock and says.... "you know, if you hurry......."
jpbfly and woodrivertroutbum like this.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Won't tell you more...you've already got some good advice... aboard.
Hope you'll write a little report about your visit to the flyshop
Old 12-27-2012, 11:36 AM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

I would definitely stress the fact that you are local and looking to establish a relationship with your local fly shop. The vast majority of fly shops are great and, like most businesses, want that repeat customer. However, I know from personal experience that there are a few fly shops who figure if they're never going to see you again, that is an opportunity for them to unload some flies that have a coat of dust on them - happened to me in CA and MT.

Also had the wonderful experience at a bar in MT where we stopped to get directions and a guy took us out on the back porch "where we can see the map better" while another guy relieved me of my spare tire, but I suppose that story belongs in another thread.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:35 PM

imaterp02 is on a distinguished road

Thanks to everyone for the advice! I'll let everyone know how my first expedition goes.