The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By wabi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 09:20 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default couple new patterns for the 6wt

Decided to tie up something sized for the 6wt Ross FlyStik. Tied a couple new (new to me) patterns on #8 hooks.
A Clouser with Mickey Finn colors and a Shannon's Streamer pattern I found on FF Ohio Shannon's Streamer - YouTube
The Shannon's streamer looks like it might work on the stripers that hang out at the warmwater discharge looking for a meal of gizzard shad.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hopefully the current rain we're getting won't completely blow out the river (Ohio) and I can test them next week.
mcnerney, jaybo41, ted4887 and 1 others like this.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:46 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: couple new patterns for the 6wt

I guy I know who fishes the Clearfork (outside the park) a lot swears by the Shannon's Streamer for wipers. If you're getting the same kinda rain as we are up here I'd bet the Ohio blows out, its dumping down buckets right now!
Old 01-11-2013, 11:51 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Nice work on the flies, congrats!

Forgot to mention that I like to watch the episodes on Adventures in Fly Tying with Fly Fish Ohio (Joe Cornwall and Jim Stuard) when I'm working out in the morning. I wish they were still doing those episodes, I really enjoyed watching them but it looks like the last one was done Apr 24, 2011.

Larry

Larry
Old 01-11-2013, 02:29 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I have enjoyed reading Joe Cornwall's book "Fly Fishing Warmwater Rivers", too.
A very informative book for anyone who likes to fish that type water for smallmouth and/or the other species found in those waters.