The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By silver creek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 10:32 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about
Default UV glue for fly tying

I have been looking at some fly tying videos and ran into one where the fly tyer was using UV glue to hold the 3-D eyes on a streamer.

From what I saw on the internet, this stuff is expensive. Is it really worth it?
Old 01-17-2013, 10:40 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UV glue for fly tying

I recently got clear cure goo and like it. The bottles run about $15, it's the light that is pricey. On the advice of someone on here I got a UV light for cheap on ebay and find it works great! I'm not sure if it'll hold up as long as the one clear cure goo sells but it's giving me a chance to try the stuff out with a bit less cash spent, which is nice. If I end up liking it and the light seems to wear out quickly, I might spring for the pricey one.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:18 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

There are some UV resins that are more expensive than other, but some are quite affordable. For now, I'm pretty happy with Bug Bond despite the higher price. It works good compared to the other stuff I've tried. I like the applicator and the container it comes in. There have been discussions not long ago in the General Tying Forum that might be of interest to you.

clear cure vs bug bond vs all the other stuff

Question on UV fly finish

Epoxy Brand

In one of those threads there is mention of Solarez which seemed to be pretty affordable and might be something I try in the near future based on the price.

UV Cure Head Cement-Hook & Hackle
Old 01-18-2013, 11:21 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with Solarez is the long recommended cure time. They suggest an initial cure of 30 seconds to set the resin and 3 minutes for a complete cure. 3 minutes is way too long and having to put the flies in the sun is an inconvenience.

30 seconds should be long enough to cure a tying resin completely tack free with the flashlight alone.

Thick Formula Solarez

All Solarez tying resins contain the following instructions:

"Apply all UV curable products in full shade or indoors, flash withSolarez UV Flashlight for 30 secs, continue working on fly. To completely cure resin, expose to sunlight or use flashlight for about 3 minutes."
mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-18-2013, 11:50 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Well that clears that up, thanks for you post Silver--always informative. Guess I'll be sticking to BugBond or one of the CCG options. 3 minutes to cure is just absurd.