The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 01:50 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coyote fur.

I think what Dean is trying to say is, just shooting it and leaving it to rot is kind of wrong and I agree. It might not be technically wanton waste there, I'm pretty sure it technically is here, but even if it isn't that does not make it right. If you shoot it you should do something with it. And while I'm making observations, I hope the Coyotes get every darned Cat around. Cats are a furry little environmental disaster. They should never be let outside to run around and kill small birds and animals by the tons. They do more real damage than most of the stuff so called environmentalists think are causing problems. If I had to pick which I think is worse, Coyotes or Cats, I would have to go with Cats. Cats do not belong outside.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:24 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

eastern yotes are bigger and have longer fur than the western ones, they have excellent fur for tying..tails make superb wings on streamers and steel head flies..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 01-19-2013, 06:52 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
. We did a smaller Gray Whale in a big sand box. Before my time there so I can't testify to how bad that one smelled.
I once fished a beach in Nova Scotia where there was a rotting dead whale.
The stink was so powerful that you could smell it at a distance much further than you could see
Of course I had to go look. Turns my stomach to this day
Old 01-19-2013, 08:58 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Cats are a furry little environmental disaster. They should never be let outside to run around and kill small birds and animals by the tons. They do more real damage than most of the stuff so called environmentalists think are causing problems. If I had to pick which I think is worse, Coyotes or Cats, I would have to go with Cats. Cats do not belong outside.
They do make great coyote bait though !!!
Guest1 likes this.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 01-19-2013, 09:29 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Cats are a furry little environmental disaster
I hate cats but my girlfriend's brings home a steady supply of moles. You know you're in a lasting relationship when you significant other catches you shaving a dead mole on the counter and stays with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
eastern yotes are bigger and have longer fur than the western ones
My neighbor showed me some pics from his trail camera and I couldn't believe how bloody big those buggers get! I still haven't seen any around here but sometimes you can hear them cackling after a kill and I live right outside urban Akron.
biggie_robs likes this.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:03 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

To the original question, which some have already responded, coyote fur is an excellent tying material. I also used to do a lot of trapping, but because of my job, no longer have the time. Here in MD, coyotes can be killed year round because they've become such a nuisance. I understand how killing off such a nuisance animal can be viewed as necessary, but personally, hate to see anything wasted. I've never trapped or killed one, they say they've been reported in every county here, but I've never encountered any. During the years when I trapped, I caught several hundred foxes, and recall killing 2 that had mange, but neither were left to spread the disease. I buried both of them, and quite deeply to keep them from being dug up.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-19-2013, 01:04 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I once fished a beach in Nova Scotia where there was a rotting dead whale.
The stink was so powerful that you could smell it at a distance much further than you could see
Of course I had to go look. Turns my stomach to this day
It is a horrible smell isn't it. When we did the Rino, you could take a shower and still stink. There was a guy doing fish skeletons in the bug box on the museum roof and that was nasty as well. When we did the big turtle, we left it buried for well over a year and then had a Turtle Daquiri Party. Everyone one went over and we had chips and drinks. Good fun till we got down to the turtle. It wasn't done yet. I have thought about doing a fish skeleton. They are pretty cool.

The way they did the whale was put in in a really big box with a liner and then covered it with sand. Then you fill it with water and every once in a while, pull the drain and put in new water.

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
you can hear them cackling after a kill and I live right outside urban Akron.
I used to see them walking down sidewalks in Oceanside California when I lived there. I had three or four watch me while they walked down the side walk on the other side of the street as I walked the other side. They run around pretty openly in San Diego as well. The way they built the city is to flatten off the tops of the hills and build on those. There are essentially wild canyons running all through everywhere there. There is a ton of wildlife right in town. I had Deer tracks in my yard in Oceanside and I wasn't even on the edge of town. I have seen Mountain Lions there, all kinds of stuff. When nobody hunts or harasses them they get pretty bold. They also eventually hit a natural balance. Really have to watch the small pets though. One time a lady left a kid in a car seat while she brough the groceries into the house and came out to find a Coyote trying to drag the kid out of the car by his pampers. That kind of got the Coyotes in trouble for a while.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:22 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I lived in San Diego for a while and they were everywhere but scrawny compared to the trail cam shots I saw. I always viewed things like that as making that place interesting, foolish as it sounds when a lion was spotted in Balboa Park I had to go looking never found it thankfully. I used to walk from my place in University Heights to a girlfriends in Golden Hills and whatever the road was took you through a small canyon section where you could see them in every passing headlight scrambling around on the canyon floor. Dan were you stationed out there? I still have my clearance papers and ID badge to get into the Sub Base rattling around here somewhere.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Dan were you stationed out there? I still have my clearance papers and ID badge to get into the Sub Base rattling around here somewhere.
Nope, I went to Boot Camp there. Also A School and BEE School. Then I went to Groton for Sub School and off to Pearl Harbor. I moved back there after I got out of the Navy. I worked at the Natural History Museum in Balboa Park. I used to walk around behind rippers and dozers looking for fossils. Best job I ever had.

Speaking of critters in Balboa Park, the best one I ever saw was one day when I was actually at the museum (spent most of the time in the field), I went outside to have lunch by the fountain. There is this bum setting there and feeding pidgeons with bread he got from a trash can sandwich. He kept dropping them closer and closer till he got one up on his lap. Then he grabbed it, snapped it's little neck and shoved it in his jacket pocket and casually strolled away.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:16 PM

You gotta love them SoCal bums!