The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 03:45 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice
Default Coyote fur.

Has anyone on here ever tried coyote fur? I leave them lay where they fall; however, I'm starting to have other thought. Pennsylvania Fly Fishing - Coyote tying [Forums - Fly Tying]
Old 01-18-2013, 03:56 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coyote fur.

Just out of curiosity, don't they have wanton waste laws in Michigan?
Old 01-18-2013, 04:02 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Just out of curiosity, don't they have wanton waste laws in Michigan?
Only for game animals that people eat. The coyotes in this area kill everything that they can catch and the population is growing. A hugh number of them have major parasite or mange problem which nobody would touch.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:34 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I would definately double check that law. I seriously doubt Coyote are exempt from the law. I'd have checked myself for you, but your DNR is even more scewed up than mine. If you try and call them it's a friggin nightmarish waste of time and their website is of no help. Look in your regulation book and double check that. If you do it wrong, and they can tack more than one violation on you, it can mean loss of all hunting and FISHING privledges. Better safe than sorry.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:14 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

It's a shame you haven't Tanned any of The Coyote Skins,I myself from time to time shoot The Ferals & not always are The Skins worth taking.
It looks really Nice Fur,I bought some last year from The US which I haven't Tied with yet however I've used Fox,Dog & Dingo for many years which are easily to Tie with,The Coyote looks a little softer.
I think if you did Tan any Good Skins you get there would be a market for it,also they would make beaut Matts & Rugs.
Brian
Old 01-18-2013, 08:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liphookedau View Post
It's a shame you haven't Tanned any......I think if you did Tan any Good Skins you get there would be a market for it,also they would make beaut Matts & Rugs.
Brian
There is a market for it, in fact a good skin used to get a pretty good bit of change if it was the right kind. Montana Blue Coyote used to be spendy. Not sure now days. There used to be a pretty good market for skeletons. You could skin them and bury them in burlap and chicken wire. We used to use a bug box or sand and water boxes for doing it when I worked at the museum. We did a big Leatherback Sea Turtle by burying it in a friends yard that worked there. We did a Rino that had a fatal 'mating' encounter with another Rino at the zoo. That was the smelliest thing ever. We did a smaller Gray Whale in a big sand box. Before my time there so I can't testify to how bad that one smelled. There's all kinds of things you could use them for. Teeth for Native American jewelry. If you got a good one I'll bet there are taxidermists that would love to get them. Taxidermy schools if you have one in the area.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:04 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

My father-in-law is a trapper, now more of a hobby for him but he still runs an active line every fall. He gets a few coyotes a season. Skins and sells everything he traps of course. There was time, in the 80s, when he actually could make some money at it. At any rate, I don't get shooting just to kill. If you're not at least going to take the pelt for use or sale, it seems like blood lust.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:31 PM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about

In my neck of the woods the populations are ever on the increase. We have a decent size pack that will come into our neighborhood pretty frequent. They have carried off household pets and animals from a neighboring farm. The farmer lost 6 goats in only a few months.

My neighbor opened up his garage this summer to screaming just to find a yote strolling down the street with a cat in its mouth.

We could use some thinning.
Liphookedau and rockriver like this.

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing
Old 01-18-2013, 10:45 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by il_wi_fishing View Post
In my neck of the woods the populations are ever on the increase. We have a decent size pack that will come into our neighborhood pretty frequent. They have carried off household pets and animals from a neighboring farm. The farmer lost 6 goats in only a few months.

My neighbor opened up his garage this summer to screaming just to find a yote strolling down the street with a cat in its mouth.

We could use some thinning.
I guess it's different here. Coyotes are "classified" by the state FWP as a "non-game predator" and can be killed year round. And a lot them are. But Montana is feaking huge. Out on the E side of the state, if you see a coyote and have a rifle in the rig, and you don't shoot it, there is something wrong with you. I've found it kind of strange. And I'm not against hunting or trapping. I hunt and like I said, my father-in-law traps and I've gone out on his line with him. I find it quite interesting, he is a smart guy and when it comes to knowing animal behavior, he understands it well.

I digress, in the mid-west with exploding populations of wildlife and ever expanding suburbs, there will be more and more conflict. The populations do need to be controlled. I think farmer and ranchers should always be allowed to shoot on site if their animals are threatened. But shooting animals from the road just because it's there and you can and leaving it for the ravens and vultures ... well, I just don't see it.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:09 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I hear a lot about the coyote problem in parts of Denver metro. This past Fall colleague's son let the dog out one night in the subdivision (fairly heavily populated area). When the dog was doing it's business several coyotes jumped their fence and killed the dog in front of the kid. They are getting pretty bold. I talked to a horse rancher a bit South who'll sit on his back deck and pick one off some evenings, I know they've killed cats and chickens and I think they've gone for foals as well. Seems wanton waste to me, though if one killed my dog (or foal) I'd lose compassion rather quickly. But if you are able to use what you kill it seems odd to leave it.