The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 06:00 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thread bodies ?

A lot of your basic soft hackles are thread body flies (Partridge and Orange, etc.). For other wets, Stewart's Spider patterns and others such as Greenwell's Glory are also thread (thread broadly; silk, floss, yarn, etc.). They've always been effective fish-getters for me.

Joni had a thread a couple of years ago on using one thread over another to get a bleed-through effect in the water. I think she call it a "transformer".

Fly_guy, go ahead an use that cross stitch floss on some patterns; let's see what they look like. I've used it on bodies for flies like Tups Indispensible.

Pocono
Old 02-05-2013, 10:27 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
My wife has every shade of cross stitch 'floss' available. It's just a thead,,so why couldn't you use it for thread bodied flies ?

Anyone know the thread im talking about ?

Michael
I forgot to note that you should wet the floss to check the color before you tie up a bunch of the flies. The floss gets darker when wet and that is the color the fish will see.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 02-05-2013, 10:47 AM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

I think the Yong special would do great up here. Just need to tie up some and try.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:28 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Also good for building up underbodies on flies like the Tellico Nymph. Just the opposite of above. Use white or match body color so you don't get bleed through.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:59 AM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough

Tied this one because of the inspiration of this thread

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

I tied them with embroidery floss from walmart costs .35$ per color bundle and lasts for ever. Tie lead under the body and taper for a smooth fly. The taper is key. Any color combo in the world will work. If you want to do smaller flies just strip out some of the threads from the floss (usually 6 individual threads) for this one I used 4 of the six for each color. I used the overhand knot method (kinda time consuming).
dean_mt likes this.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:17 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Beautiful weaves, Silver! I've used embroidery floss for larger bodied stonefly nymphs. What size floss is that on the Paraloop (hackle-stacker)? I really love that pattern but haven't tied any for a year or so.

----

Sorry, I didn't finish reading the thread to find out you did not tie those. Still, awesome paraloop. I am gonna make some of those tonight.

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrp5087 View Post
I tied them with embroidery floss from walmart costs .35$ per color bundle and lasts for ever. Tie lead under the body and taper for a smooth fly. The taper is key. Any color combo in the world will work. If you want to do smaller flies just strip out some of the threads from the floss (usually 6 individual threads) for this one I used 4 of the six for each color. I used the overhand knot method (kinda time consuming).
Absolutely. I went to JoAnn Fabrics and bought a shank of every color years ago and still have most of it. Now I need to go find a finer floss for smaller hooks.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:14 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Tied this one because of the inspiration of this thread

I used the overhand knot method (kinda time consuming).
Use the shuttle weave and it will be much faster. Also you will have just one color break.

You did tie it very well. It looks like a woven "frenchie" with the hot spot thread tie off.

Click the image to open in full size.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 02-05-2013, 09:17 PM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough

It was on a size ten hook. I will need to get the size down to match the frenchie... but i didnt think of that it does look similar. If there is one thing that i dont like about these flies is that the bulk builds up so fast im not sure I like the wide profile. I will have to fish them to see how they perform
Old 02-06-2013, 08:01 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Thread I use for bodies,a lot ...dries,wets,nymphs....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Pocono and wt bash like this.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:54 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
It was on a size ten hook. I will need to get the size down to match the frenchie... but i didnt think of that it does look similar. If there is one thing that i dont like about these flies is that the bulk builds up so fast im not sure I like the wide profile. I will have to fish them to see how they perform
The wide profile is one of the features of the woven body that I like best. Stoneflies and mayfly crawler nymphs are both wide bodied bugs.