The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 11:02 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Thread bodies ?

My wife has every shade of cross stitch 'floss' available. It's just a thead,,so why couldn't you use it for thread bodied flies ?

Anyone know the thread im talking about ?

Michael
Old 02-04-2013, 12:15 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default re: Thread bodies ?

There is no reason why not. I also use yarn threads or wool, threads. Even used dental floss, tough stuff.
Pretty sure I know the stuff you're talkin about. I have used it before. If its tough enough to tie on, I say go with it.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure I know the thread you're talking about but ...think it would be better to use it for wets and nymphs...not for driesjust my two cents
Old 02-04-2013, 12:27 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

You can use it to weave a fly body.

Click the image to open in full size.

Loren Williams
Pocono, mcnerney, jpbfly and 8 others like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 02-04-2013, 01:07 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Silver Creek that is the stuff. I've already tied some small mouth 'creatures' with it,,but was wondering what ya'll thought about it for trout. It's just a thread,,,the 'floss' kinda suggest gaudy or 'fuzzy' but it's really only a thread,,,bigger diam than fly tying thread but about just right for bodies. I can see were it might be a tad heavy for dries. My wife can keep me in a inexhaustible supply,,,just as long as she doesn't know she's doing it !

Thank you all,,,

Michael
Old 02-04-2013, 01:30 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

You bet you can. The Brit's call them Buzzers, we call them Chomeanoids. Spelling there sucks ......
Old 02-04-2013, 02:26 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

One of the most famous thread midge patterns are the Yong flies, the Yong Special and the Yong Flasher.

Here is what is being imitated:

Here are the Yong flies:

Yong's Special | The most sought-after secret in the west

http://www.mlsff.org/cgi-bin/Pattern...ng_Special.pdf

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 02-04-2013, 04:15 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
You can use it to weave a fly body.

Loren Williams

Silver those ties are amazing! I'd bet that olive and brown weave has been deadly.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Silver those ties are amazing! I'd bet that olive and brown weave has been deadly.
I didn't tie those. I just provided an IMG link to the flies.

However, I do tie woven flies and will be tying some as a demo tyer this weekend at the Badger Fly Fishers Spring Opener in Madison.

I use the shuttle weave which I think is easier and faster than the overhand weave.

Badger Fly Fishers Spring Opener 2013

Silver

Old 02-04-2013, 09:29 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

That's mainly all we used years ago before all this new gear which has cost me heaps over The Years,as Silver mentioned it's good for Woven Flies,I've also used some of The Floss's for Dubbing especially The Bright Dyed Olives,Greens,Reds,Yellows & Browns,Synthetics,however it's up to The Imagination what you Tie or Match with it.
Brian